How do you protect losing your video recordings from a thief?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cameras can save to a FTP server directly at the same time your NVR is recording them.. and FTP server only needs a couple hundred GB really.. its just a backup, not the primary.

you need a NVR w/external PoE

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Masejoer, What do you mean by recorder? I need to have the NVR accessible, as in with my TV.
Thanks!
Run a hdmi cable and a USB cable to your monitor. thru floor, wall, ceiling, gun safe. You can run USB -+20' maybe more for just a mouse. hide NVR where ever you want within accessible reach of hemi and USB limits..

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
cameras can save to a FTP server directly at the same time your NVR is recording them.. and FTP server only needs a couple hundred GB really.. its just a backup, not the primary.

you need a NVR w/external PoE
@nayr, is a regular HDD ok for an FTP server or is a high-use drive like a WD Purple recommended?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just throw a cheap normal desktop drive in it, even a spare drive if you have one about.. remember its just a backup that will hopefully never be needed.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I've always mounted my NVRs in the top of a closet or above a false ceiling or shelf. If you need something more in the open its about slowing someone down. A thief will most likely spend more time trying to get valuable stuff and run then he will looking for an NVR or trying to break things to locate it.

Here are two cabinets that I like and have used - especially if something is going to be in a master bedroom closet or basement out in the open.
Nice White Cabinet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DROZC04/ref=twister_B01AZ2YX0A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Less Expensive Black Cabinet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZVUCOE?psc=1

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.