How do you run BI in Windows 10 without interruptions?

sdyfgasd

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems 3 of my BI clients constantly have issues due to Win10 updates. Check on the PC and it's logged off. Log in - new updates screen. Get to the desktop - BI is off. Has been off for 2 weeks. I run it as a service on all. The only machines that are 24/7/365 reliable for me are Windows 7. What do you, guys, do?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Open Local Group Policy Editor (not available in Home edition).

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates

Enable the feature, then choose the option "2 - Notify for download and auto install"

I'm pretty sure that is all it takes to prevent automatic updates. If not, you can google for more extreme methods of disabling Windows update, although it is nice to still be able to run the updates on your own from time to time.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way, if you are finding that the BI service is not running while the PC is at the login screen, then something else is wrong. The whole point of the service mode is that Blue Iris runs even when a user is not logged in.

There are other ways to have Windows log you in automatically and start the Blue Iris local console if that is what you want.

sdyfgasd

n3wb
Reaction score
Does that work for you? I've been fighting Windows updates for months. I think I've used that method in the past. But eventually MS backdoors their way in and reactivates their code injections.
The main issue, as I see, is that some updates require a user to log in to complete. When it reboots the computer, it stays at login screen. No services start until that process is complete, so no BI footage until user input.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Truth be told, I neutered Windows updates on my BI machines too long ago and I don't remember what method I used.

You can run the command "control userpasswords2" which will show a dialog that lets you configure automatic login. I can't promise it will work after an update that requires a login to complete, but I'm guessing it would. That would really piss me off if I was updating a remote Windows machine and Teamviewer didn't come back up because Windows required a login in order to run services. That hasn't happened to me yet.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
netplwiz to setup auto login also works

type 'check for updates' on start button > advanced options > you can select a date to pause updates - out to 35 days, so that way you could only install updates once a month OR you can pause feature updates (new capabilities and improvements) on that page out for a year.

Also, you can upgrade Win10 home to pro for free if you have an old win7 win8 unused pro key laying around

Reaction score
My experience with Win10 Pro thus far, is as stated above: I can postpone updates, but I cannot stop them.

QUESTION: If the machine NEVER sees the Internet, can I theoretcially postpone the updates forever? Unless they've programmed it like Android, you can only delay updates for so long before they just disable all the functionality.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
There are basically two types of updates. 'Feature Updates' which contains new features and improvements. And 'Quality' updates which are mandatory updates that provide security and reliability fixes. This need to be installed on a monthly basis and are usually rolled out every second Tuesday of each month — also known as Patch Tuesday

I am sure a lot of you are saying - ya ya, who needs updates, but tell that to all the people who were affected by ransomware that paralyzed critical systems that could have been easily avoided by installing a simple update.

So push the quality/mandatory updates out to once a month and defer the feature updates for a year. no big deal.

Don't forget, there is a setting that allows a computer to download updates from other computers on your network. So if you think since you blocked access to the internet (firewall setting or something, make sure you turn this off)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does that work for you? I've been fighting Windows updates for months. I think I've used that method in the past. But eventually MS backdoors their way in and reactivates their code injections.
The main issue, as I see, is that some updates require a user to log in to complete. When it reboots the computer, it stays at login screen. No services start until that process is complete, so no BI footage until user input.
Bp's methods work fine for me. I bypassed the login long ago.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Get to the desktop - BI is off. Has been off for 2 weeks. I run it as a service on all.
The whole point of running something as a service is that whatever runs before anyone logs in. Something is wrong with what you said. Are you sure BI was off? Did you check the Task Manager? It should have been running without user interface. Are you by any chance confusing the visible user interface with the BI actually running? It may be running in the background without the user interface.

I don't understand the problems described here. My BI is running as service. My active hours in Win10 are set for the night hours that's when I don't want the PC to reboot. Updates are set to restart the PC as soon as they are installed. So, updates are installed, the PC is rebooted automatically some time during the day when 2 minutes of BI outage is not that important. After the PC reboots BI is running again as service. Completely unattended. No need to fight the windmills.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The whole point of running something as a service is that whatever runs before anyone logs in. Something is wrong with what you said. Are you sure BI was off? Did you check the Task Manager? It should have been running without user interface. Are you by any chance confusing the visible user interface with the BI actually running? It may be running in the background without the user interface.

I don't understand the problems described here. My BI is running as service. My active hours in Win10 are set for the night hours that's when I don't want the PC to reboot. Updates are set to restart the PC as soon as they are installed. So, updates are installed, the PC is rebooted automatically some time during the day when 2 minutes of BI outage is not that important. After the PC reboots BI is running again as service. Completely unattended. No need to fight the windmills.
I have NOTHING automatically rebooting, everything must ask me first. If you have the Blue Iris machine setup correctly, and do NOT use it for anything else as it should be, it doesn't need updates.
Don't surf on that computer, nothing.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@sdyfgasd - thanks for asking a great question.

@bp2008 - thanks for answering the question.
I thought I had updates disabled on my Win 10P but I followed your steps to be sure, first doing a WINDOWS KEY + R to bring up the RUN window, then typed GPEDIT.MSC to bring up the Local Group Policy Editer. Very easy. Thanks! :thumb:

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have NOTHING automatically rebooting, everything must ask me first. If you have the Blue Iris machine setup correctly, and do NOT use it for anything else as it should be, it doesn't need updates.
Don't surf on that computer, nothing.
Well, the struggle seems to be to prevent updates, and humans lose and machines win. Updates won't hurt. I don't understand why people are so afraid of them. One can reboot manually but I don't see how an automatic reboot once a month during day time might hurt the home BI system. A reboot takes a minute.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're using Intel hardware acceleration and update can screw that up royally by updating the video driver.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're using Intel hardware acceleration and update can screw that up royally by updating the video driver.
That can be prevented. Instructions are in the wiki and they work. But I believe this issue is moot. Intel fixed memory leaks in the latest drivers. Are there any recent complaints about memory leaks?
In my case Windows hasn't offered a video driver update for a couple of years. My CPU is oldish. No worries about driver updates.