How does an NVR 'add' an IP camera---Protocol--- User name and password

Reaction score
When a IP camera is initially 'added' to a POE based NVR, such as my 16 channel LOREX, is the user name and password of the camera 'polled' by the NVR before the camera is added to the NVR? Reason I am asking is I have been having an issue adding a generic IP based ONVIF camera. I became successful when I went into the camera's proprietary software package and added a generic username and password. I then used this user name and password into the Lorex's NVR fields when adding a Fixed IP address camera. Immediately then the Lorex NVR successfully added the camera and I was able to see it image.

Question, Over the past several months, I have added many IP POE based cameras onto my Lorex NVR by Lorex, Amcrest and Q-see without any concern of username and passwords. They just 'magically' connected and an image was seen immediately. If a username and password was needed, how did the NVR 'know' the user name and password of the camera?

Recently

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lorex will change the user/pw on the camera to match the NVR user/pw when it is connected.

So if you have a camera that it isn't talking to NVR, it may connect when you change the camera user/pw to the NVR user/pw.

Reaction score
Chicken or egg?? Is the camera the chicken or the egg? In other words, I was successful when I reversed the order. but regardless, passwords and user name must match or the camera will not stream data to the NVR?? is that correct?

When I buy a Lorex, Q-see, Amcrest or Dahua camera, is it correct to assume that these off the shelf IP POE cameras do NOT have any username or password associated with it when it is brand new out of the box??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lorex, Q-see, Amcrest are Dahua rebranded cameras, so that is why they work flawlessly with your Lorex NVR. If you put a user/pw on one of those, the NVR would change it automatically to the NVR user/PW. At least that has been my experience. Not only does it change the user/pw, but it changes the IP to that of the NVR, which is probably 10.x.x.x whereas the camera probably comes as 192.168.x.x.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are both a gentleman and a scholar. With my limited experience, you are completely correct. When viewed from the NVR, all my IP cameras are 10.?.?.? when looking at their new IP DHCP address from the NVR!!