How does OSD "North" & "Coordinates" really work?

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a DH-SD59225U-HNI but I'm hopeful this setting exists on other PTZ models as well. How does the "North" setting work for the on screen display, and as it relates to the display of pan-tilt "coordinates"? See the image below for the settings.

I'm particularly curious about the "N" button to the right of the "North" setting. I've searched here & Google and haven't found the answer, but my assumption has been that pressing the button when the camera is pointed north would establish that rotation of the camera as north. My first smaller question is then, do I also need to click "Save" on that settings page, or only that "N" button?

My next question is, when and how should I expect the arrow on the screen to update? When I pan around, the arrow doesn't seem to change position at all. When I move the camera to a preset, the arrow does change the direction it points, but it doesn't seem to point in the proper direction. For example, when the camera is first pointing north and the arrow is up, I then pan the camera to the left to point north-west, I would expect the arrow to point back towards the right, but instead it points left. When I move the camera to a south-facing preset, the arrow does point down, which seems to correctly imply "behind me".

On a closely related topic, I turned on the coordinates OSD and I also read another post in this forum that the coordinates might be polar coordinates, with zero degrees indicating east rather than more of a compass orientation with zero degrees pointing north. You would think I could answer this question for myself, but since I'm not sure the "N" button is working properly, or the arrow pointing the proper direction, I'm still a bit confused, so asking if there is any definitive information from Dahua on how these should work. At a minimum, the pan coordinate increases as I pan counter-clockwise, which is backwards from what I expected, implying this is using at least that one aspect of polar coordinates.

When I click the "N" button that I think is setting north, the coordinates still show something like 169 degrees and don't change. This makes me think the coordinates are purely based on the mounted orientation of the camera itself (e.g. 0 is simply facing directly forward from the mount), rather than anything to do with the North setting.

So do "coordinates" follow any north setting or just the mounted orientation or ???

Thanks in advance!

dahua-osd-north.jpg

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Point the camera to the north, and then click on the button to the right to set north. Then it does set the north to that position / direction.

After that, the arrow changes direction when the camera moves. The arrow points to the north. So if the camera looks south, the arrow points down.

It's more a gimmick if you ask me.