How high is too high?

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve mounted my camera to a telephone pole and it’s about 20’ high. The location it’s in is not the best for a camera so capable. SO, I’m going to drop a 3”x1/4 wall square tube in the ground about 4’ at a more advantageous location. I was thinking about 16-17’ high. Has anyone mounted a ptz to square tubing this high up? Should I expect any shaking?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you own that telephone pole, 20 feet is not too high.

PTZs are meant to be installed higher (within reason of course)

The benefit of the PTZ is at the distances it views, it flattens the angle. You get too low and your longer distance suffers.

You would probably experience shaking sticking on square tubing.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you own that telephone pole, 20 feet is not too high.

PTZs are meant to be installed higher (within reason of course)

The benefit of the PTZ is at the distances it views, it flattens the angle. You get too low and your longer distance suffers.

You would probably experience shaking sticking on square tubing.
I own the pole. The problem is that when I put it up, I only had security lighting in mind. With the ability of this camera I’d like it moved another 40’ north so I can see all the way to the state road and completely cover the front and side of my house. I was going to set the pole in concrete if that helps?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would help, but I would try to get larger if you can.

I know someone did something similar and had to reinforce it. Let me see if I can find that thread or remember who did it.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought about guy wires if I had to. If the dimensions help, I was looking at an 8” hole 4’ deep. The height issue I was thinking of is exactly what you’re addressing and instead of the 20’ on the telephone pole, I was looking at 15-16’ on the 3”x1/4. The red dot is the camera’s current location. The yellow dot would enable me to see down the road and the majority of my house.

Attachments

Last edited: