How is this for a PC?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
that could work. How many cameras? oh yeah 20. Hmmm might need more peoples feedback....I know there are people doing it. but they have some cameras on 8 FPS to drop the resources being used.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The bandwidth of DDR3 is like ( dont quote me) 25-33% slower on - side. and DDR4 is faster +.
the 4790 has 8 thread CPU so thats on the + side. it uses 84Watts
The 8th gen system with i5-8500 may be less power hungry. It uses 65Watts.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running 21 cameras, 2 and 4MP mixed, on an i7-6700K. CPU sits around 20% during the day and 10-15% at night. Throughput is around 200Mp/s with a network throughput of around 160 Mb/s.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, you will be fine with an i7-4790 you have laying around. Just make sure you run substreams and do every optimization in the wiki.

I have a 4th gen SFF I got off the refurb list of a business lease and I am running over 30 cameras ranging from 2MP to 8MP, running OpenALPR for two cameras, the plate utility to log the plates, and DeepStack on 5 cameras, with most of the cameras running at 15FPS, but a few are down in the 10-12 range and one is at 20FPS. Recording 24/7 substream with mainstream on triggers and not running hardware acceleration.

I have optimized the system fully to the Wiki. At night it will sip in the single digits. In the daytime it is in the teens. It will jump with OpenALPR in the daytime.

I rebooted my machine last week and I leave this program running to monitor temps, CPU%, memory, etc. It shows what it is at now and the max it has seen since the last reboot. I wish it showed the min also, but oh well. I am remote desktop in and that adds a few percent, but you can see it is sitting in the single digits at night and had a max of 30ish% for the past week.

So yeah, I think 20 cams on your system will be fine LOL...

1646538148480.png

Reaction score
Yeah, you will be fine with an i7-4790 you have laying around. Just make sure you run substreams and do every optimization in the wiki.

I have a 4th gen SFF I got off the refurb list of a business lease and I am running over 30 cameras ranging from 2MP to 8MP, running OpenALPR for two cameras, the plate utility to log the plates, and DeepStack on 5 cameras, with most of the cameras running at 15FPS, but a few are down in the 10-12 range and one is at 20FPS. Recording 24/7 substream with mainstream on triggers and not running hardware acceleration.

I have optimized the system fully to the Wiki. At night it will sip in the single digits. In the daytime it is in the teens. It will jump with OpenALPR in the daytime.

I rebooted my machine last week and I leave this program running to monitor temps, CPU%, memory, etc. It shows what it is at now and the max it has seen since the last reboot. I wish it showed the min also, but oh well. I am remote desktop in and that adds a few percent, but you can see it is sitting in the single digits at night and had a max of 30ish% for the past week.

So yeah, I think 20 cams on your system will be fine LOL...

1646538148480.png
I just plugged it in and it has 24gb of ram as well. So it should be a good start. It doesn't have a ssd but I know I have one somewhere. I will load windows and bl on it. I think it will support 3 3.5 drives as well.