How much bandwidth does a particular camera use - How do I calculate it?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks

Can you refer me to a link that explains this? I would like to read up on it and study it. It sounds like it might be the next stage after I complete my current learners steps, nothing wrong with learning one and then stepping up.

There is an entire topic area on Blue Iris Blue Iris

Additionally, if you haven't already done so read the material in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page. There is a ton and a half of great information, tools and guides in there. Read it on a real computer, not a phone or tablet.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks

Can you refer me to a link that explains this? I would like to read up on it and study it. It sounds like it might be the next stage after I complete my current learners steps, nothing wrong with learning one and then stepping up.

scrounge most any old Windows PC with at least a core i5-3xxx just for playing around, get 1 or two cameras to evaluate, I recommend the EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE, and a cheap 4 port PoE switch, hook all this up and install the Blue Iris evaluation copy to play with it and see how it all works together. The -ZE version of hte camera has a zoom lens so you can try different field sizes, I'm running mine at maximum zoom of 12mm.

once you've played around with the basics, it will be a lot easier to evaluate stuff based on literature and 3rd party reviews.

me, I started with some AWFUL cheap Reolink cams, and ran BI on my main desktop PC for a little while to try it out. Ended up getting a refurbished HP EliteDesk 800G2 Mini (but I should have gotten the SFF version) with a Core i7-6700 to run as a dedicated NVR, and kept adding better cameras, now I want to replace them all with the IPC-T5442T-ZE, but maybe replace my one IPC-T5442T-ZE with the IPC-B5442T-Z4E which has even longer zoom as thats my 'driveway entrance' camera, and is looking 100 feet+ at what comes in my driveway.

Jolyon39

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
scrounge most any old Windows PC with at least a core i5-3xxx just for playing around, get 1 or two cameras to evaluate, I recommend the EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE, and a cheap 4 port PoE switch, hook all this up and install the Blue Iris evaluation copy to play with it and see how it all works together. The -ZE version of hte camera has a zoom lens so you can try different field sizes, I'm running mine at maximum zoom of 12mm.

once you've played around with the basics, it will be a lot easier to evaluate stuff based on literature and 3rd party reviews.

me, I started with some AWFUL cheap Reolink cams, and ran BI on my main desktop PC for a little while to try it out. Ended up getting a refurbished HP EliteDesk 800G2 Mini (but I should have gotten the SFF version) with a Core i7-6700 to run as a dedicated NVR, and kept adding better cameras, now I want to replace them all with the IPC-T5442T-ZE, but maybe replace my one IPC-T5442T-ZE with the IPC-B5442T-Z4E which has even longer zoom as thats my 'driveway entrance' camera, and is looking 100 feet+ at what comes in my driveway.
Thanks for this,

Would you add a WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk to this old PC or just go with any drive?

There are claims out there that you really should use a dedicated surveillance drive.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In a permanent situation you'll want a surveillance rated drive. For testing/learning any old drive will do. A couple of TB is a good idea though.