How much did your system cost you?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 20 cameras and 4 NVR's. The reason for 4 NVR's is that they can only handle so much 4K data and I have to allot the cameras to the nvr's with only so many 4K cameras per NVR. By the way 4 of those cameras are for license plates. As to cost I do not have a clue except $$$$$. Two of my 4K PTV cameras cost $1700 each.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
The cost of your toys...er....tools, is irrelevant if it does what you want it to do. This hobby is a lot like Ham Radio. You start out cheap, thinking these purchases is all you will ever need or want.........:thumb:..........Once the bug bites and you research it enough, you find out pretty quick that you will never have enough radios, antennas, coax, room for more antennas or not enough cameras, not enough storage space, not enough Horse power in your computer and the CFO has you on a limited budget for system add-ons. It's a mental illness I tell ya.....run, run away fast if you value your sanity!! BTW, welcome to the IPCT Insane Asylum.....we will let you know how to get all the good stuff :wave:

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep. Started going down the route of actually wanting to identifying people so I slowly bought a bunch of used/new Amcrest branded SD49 12/25x PTZ's quite cheaply in the past couple of years. This year I bought quite a few IR illuminators that have been collecting dust. Andy's refurbs and sales dont help either

Reaction score
I remember when I first started out with a $200 Blue Iris computer and 4 cameras. Them was the good 'ol days!
Due to security events or being curious of cool tools (PTZ, LPR camera, fixed vs varifocal, double boobie cam, etc), I'm up to a $1000 dedicated Blue Iris server machine and 25 IP cameras that mostly cost between $125-$195 each (other than the SD4 PTZ). Mind you, this was not all bought at once but a camera here and there every couple months over a couple years...and all through Andy for the cheaper price tag.

So that comes to...eeek! $4k-$5k.
But I'm thankful for the peace and mind it brings me.

Last edited:

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been diagnosed for many years with a disease called Cameras-itis and there is no cure for it, just constant treatments. Three of the treatments are NVR-ers which is expensive, POE-ers, multiple port SWITCH-ers, and SERVER RACK -er. The yearly costs of the treatments are in the thousands of dollars. The treatments have taken a while to show their effectiveness, but I feel secure with them. My wife has a few concerns about the slow progress that I am making. I am doing a lot better now although my insurance will not cover my treatments. Please continue to inform me of any new treatments out there that can rid me of this disease.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have various cameras, ranging from $80 to $300.

I also have an NVR5216-16P-I.
Don't look at the price....
I said don't look at the price!
1662108178286.png
I bought it used with two 6tb drives for about the cost of a single 12TB Skyhawk drive.... Just worth it in hard drives.
I wouldn't buy this NVR at retail price. Far better off with a VMS solution.

The biggest expenses is actually the little things adding up.
Cable, crimping tools, UPS and batteries, wall plates, HDMI over Eth, monitor, monitor arm mount, TV modulator, sensors (wired into the NVR) and speakers.

In total:
Well over $1,500 for 9 cameras, NVR and the other bits mentioned.
I have only bought one camera brand new from Andy. 90% of my system is used devices and I have repaired them.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Originally I bought three crap cameras and used Shinobi (a free NVR software). Shinobi was never really stable for me (it wasn't terrible, but it certainly crashed at times), but I had that system for a while before finding this site and realizing what I had was basically worthless.

I bought a used i7-6700 computer off Ebay ($275), installed BlueIris on it, and started buying cameras from Andy. I've bought both new and refurbished cameras and even a few used ones from other forum members, so my all-in cost is probably better than most given the cameras I have. The cameras have been acquired over several years, but I have certainly reached the point where my wife says it's too much. She is right of course - proven by the fact that I haven't even installed the last round of cameras that I bought. I need more Cat5e cable and simply haven't taken the time to go by my local alarm/automation shop to pick some up.

Of course what I really want is to start replacing some cameras with the new Color4k-X cameras, but that's another story...... I guess it proves that this is a sickness and there is no cure! :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Started with a basic HP office PC with a i7-6700. Bought a rack mount case, new motherboard, and moved it into the rack a few years ago. Now it's being upgraded to a 12700k because I've been noticed some issues with AI running on it and to prepare for the eventual move to 4k. 1 4tb, 2 8tb, and 1 14tb WD purples for storage.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, on my current system, I bought a really nice PC for about $825. It pulls double duty as a Plex Server and other storage.
~$150 for an additional HDD
~$200 each on average for 6 cameras.
~$100 for the rack off craigslist
~$100 for rack accessories
~$200 for a Rackmount UPS
~$200 for a 16-port Poe switch
~$50 for the wire I've used, maybe more
Then there's other switches, plugs, connections, mounting brackets, etc

I'm going to stop right here, in case my wife finds this thread!!! :D :oops:

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I currently run 13 cameras and two of those are for LPR, recently installed. I have three spare Cat cables under the corner eave of a double-storey house. All other cameras, barring the LPR cameras, are positioned between the ground and first floor. On top of that, I'm in the Ubiquity eco-system, have two 24 port poe switches and a UDM Pro router. On top of that I ended up getting a nice 18RU rack to fit things. It all adds up. I was lucky enough to plan it out during the house build. I'm on a normal size residential block but I decided for redundancy with camera coverage. In my backyard for instance, I have a camera at each corner of the house covering the same area, during the build I just put cables everywhere because I could. Most of my cameras are the 5442's from Andy, thanks Andy.

How much? I keep meaning to tally it up all, but at a guess, maybe touching $4,000 AUD, could be more. Thank God my wife is not interested in this stuff, I don't think she checks this forum.

Last edited:

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm into my 10 camera BI system for $2903.33. The price includes every last little piece, part and tool I have bought to build this system. I have a cost breakdown of everything I bought in my phone's notebook so every time I buy something it gets updated. My wife doesn't know the $ amount, shhhh!

I do have to say that I have spent less building my own system than I was gonna spend on a 4 camera system I was looking at before I stumbled upon this forum.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Damn, that's way too organized. Don't even want to start doing a hard add for all of mine. Don't want to know the amount myself.

For my running system with 20-ish cams, server, some allocation of network infrastructure and associated "stuff" I'm probably into it for ~$3,000. Most of mine I've bought as I go and picked things up at good discounts as I found them; otherwise, would be a lot more. That's not counting all of the other stuff that I've bought over the years that's been replaced and/or still is sitting in closets. That's what would make the numbers more scary.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I know I'm well north of $3K and probably well into the $4K range by now between cameras, switches, mobos, processors, video cards, memory, drives, cable, mounts, conduit, tools (like a roto hammer to drill through the poured foundation) and al the other odds and ends.

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For my age, I was told I needed some physical outside activities to aid with my treatments of the cameras-itis disease and to get my heart beat up. I chose exercises such as digging holes, putting up poles, running conduit, stringing CAT6E cables, and climbing ladders. It is working as can be seen in the pictures. I am getting stronger and may be able to wean myself off some of these treatments. I ran out of adding machine paper trying to figure the total cost of my treatments. My cost is north of the north pole, and I live in the southern part of the USA.20220804_192058.jpg20220903_173935.jpg20220903_174223.jpg

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have too much cams on my house but its my job ... :winktongue:

I have 10 optex barriers and i am going to install 3 thermal cams.

Here is the list :

HikVision: IPC-T2347G-LU 6mm
Dahua: IPC-HDW5442T-ZE
HikVision: DS-2CD2347G1-LU 4mm
Dahua: DH-IPC-HDBW5449R1-ZE-LED
HikVision: DS-2DE4A425IW-DE PTZ
Dahua: IPC-HDW5442TM-AS 3.6mm
Dahua: IPC-HDW5442TM-AS 2.8 LED
Dahua: IPC-HDW5231RZE
Dahua: IPC-HDW5442TM-AS 6mm
Dahua: IPC-HDW5442TM-AS 2.8
Dahua: IPC-HDW5442TM-AS
HikVision: DS-2CD2347G2-LU
Dahua: IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E
Dahua: IPC-HDBW5442E-Z4E
Dahua: IPC-HDBW5442E-Z4E
Dahua: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI 3.6
Dahua: DH-SD5A425XA-HNR PTZ
HikVision: DS-2CD2347G2-LU 4mm
HikVision: DS-2DF8A442IXS-AEL PTZ
Dahua : IPC-HDBW5442E-ZE
HikVision: DS-2CD6424FWD-20

I also have smoke machines, non-approved 150 Db sirens and explosive charges with flash powder in 2 rooms not to kill but to drive the burglar crazy :)
Everything is used with a Seek-One VMS, a server with an Intel I9 processor and 18 Tb storage.

Price in $ about 10 000 ...

BICK

Last edited: