How much longer before government requires you to give them access to your cameras?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
DC has been doing that for a while too. They even give a rebate program for installing cams.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I see this as a dangerous precedent. Once you allow them into your camera system without a warrant, even for a pilot program, especially if your cameras have microphones, you have given up all your rights to privacy. What is to stop them from just listening to your audio feed? What is to stop them from just using your outside cameras? Same network as your Alexa or or any other IOT device. They can promise you the moon about respecting your privacy, but humans will have to oversee it and lets face it, how many humans that are paid public servants would love 24 hour unfettered access to view, control and listen to all of your IOT devices without a warrant? Ask Edward Snowden.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't understand how the civil liberty groups can be upset with consenting adults sharing their video feeds with the police. Obviously giving the police direct access is taking "it up a notch", but the underlying principals are the same. If I can share (or not share) my footage with the police when they come to my door, I have the same right to give them access (or not give them access) to my system without having to come to my door. Of course if people feel bullied or threatened into sharing their footage I guess that would be a different situation, but there is no "Constitutional crisis" with this concept IMHO.

That being said, while I am generally happy to help the police in a legitimate investigation by providing footage (and have done so previously), I would NEVER give the police total access to my system. We all know that eventually the government would abuse that power - and if/when it does happens, that's when the civil liberty groups will have something to stand on.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If these officials REALLY want to reduce crime, cams are not going to do it. How about keeping violent perps in jail?
And that is the most important part of this whole thing. Cameras are only going to help identify perps after they commit a crime with the hope being that they would be caught and prosecuted for their crimes. However if the system simply lets them off with a "slap on the wrist" or worse yet doesn't even prosecute "minor" crimes like theft or assault, then what is the point in the first place?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got some Hollywood 'special' cams with the flashing LED and the short cable that sticks in a hole and a flimsy bracket they can tap into. I haven't had any success, maybe they can get them going. :lmao:

View attachment 141663
I like how the thief is running away with a full bag of stolen goods.... At least they are honest in their marketing!