How much storage space do I need?

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mods - sorry if this is not the right forum for the question but I wasn't able to find one that's remotely close.

I did a quick search and wasn't able to find a thread similar to the question I have. I have 6 Dahua Starlight Varifocal IPC-HDW5231R-Z on order and plan to set them up to record at max resolution 24/7 to a Dahua NVR. Someone had mentioned using 10-15fps setting to help save space. The question is, if I'm looking to have at least a 7-day history with this setup, how big of a hard drive do I need to buy? I plan to pickup a WD Purple NV drive as soon as I know what size to buy. Thanks.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't comment on the calculator, but perhaps my setup will be of some comparison.

(4) EyeSurv 3mpx cameras
(2) Hikvision 3mpx cameras
(all) 10 FPS
(all) 24/7 recording
(all) H264
(all) "highest" quality
(all) 8192 bitrate

and I get 15 days record history.

Drive size is 2TB.

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't comment on the calculator, but perhaps my setup will be of some comparison.

(4) EyeSurv 3mpx cameras
(2) Hikvision 3mpx cameras
(all) 10 FPS
(all) 24/7 recording
(all) H264
(all) "highest" quality
(all) 8192 bitrate

and I get 15 days record history.

Drive size is 2TB.
Thanks for your input. I'm surprised no one else has chimed in as I assume this should be a fairly simple question for current owners of a DIY security setup.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well i have only useless info, here 2 x 2MP, 1x 3Mp, 1x 4Mp.
Have a mix of 7x24, 7x10 and motion recordings.
2x4TB gives like 60 days of recording here.

But you found a calculator, so you have a bit of an idea.

Other calculator perhaps: Bandwidth and Storage Calculator | StarDot Technologies

That calculates in the motion hours per day. But this can be a lot with moving leaves, shadows of clouds, whatever is moving.

Last edited: