How powerful are the IR Leds in my camera?

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a Tendelux IR Illuminator (AI4 80ft range). Thing is, from the camera to my treeline is about 100 feet and I'm wondering if the AI4 illuminator will be enough. I actually plan to purchase two of them. The camera in the middle, and the IR Illuminators placed about 10 feet away on both sides of the camera.

Problem is that I have no reference to work from when considering the power output of the IR Leds vs their effect on the camera's ability to see in the dark.

I'm working on the assumption that a 1W IR Led is more or less the same as any other 1W IR Led.

So I have to ask, how many watts are the IR Leds in my Dahua dh-ipc-hdw2231r-zs camera? There are two of them

Reaction score
this isn't directly answering your camera wattage question, but as far as I know light intensity decreases at a rate relative to the square of the distance (in meters).

So any_light_source at 100ft (30.5m) will be approximately 40% less intense than that same light source at 80ft (24.3m), I think you would need a lens to focus that light to counteract this natural dispersion.

Last edited:

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
this isn't directly answering your camera wattage question, but as far as I know light intensity decreases at a rate relative to the square of the distance (in meters).

So any_light_source at 100ft (30.5m) will be approximately 40% less intense than that same light source at 80ft (24.3m), I think you would need a lens to focus that light to counteract this natural dispersion.
fixed it for ya :)