How to access camera Dahua archives now that IE is dead?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just personal preference, if I can avoid chinese stuff, I do. Impossible, of course, but I try were I can. I've read great things about Dahua and Hikvision as you mentioned above. But I've heard Axis is also better, although not that superior. Is the increased cost vs step up in tech worth it, probably not for many, but that was the choice I'm considering. I haven't completely decided yet because I also have about 8-9 cameras to purchase and while cost is not a huge concern if it's better technology, I'm not opposed to spending the money. I would prefer not to spend $10-15k on a whole system but if it is a step up in tech, I don't mind as much. I also hate seeing grainy night images from videos of crimes and it looking like it came from some 2005 video camera. I've watched a number of youtube videos comparing various cameras videos and the axis always seems to do well in day & night. I also have a rather large halloween and christmas light displays and I'm starting to have some decent money on outside equipment to run those, so if something happens to it I want the best chance of catching a video of the person(s). But I haven't completely spec'd out my system quite yet and I may find I can't do what I want with Axis and may have to go with Dahua or HIK.

I don't know all the intricacies of this, but I'm guessing Dahua or HIK is not difficult to purchase even with the ban. I assume Dahua being sold early this year got them around that. HIK I'm not sure about. But that also recently popped up in my consideration, would they abandon the US market in the near future?

In regards to your comment about firmware updates, I agree with you wholeheartedly. as someone who used to jailbreak droid phones and load DD-WRT onto older routers, I'm well aware of sometimes keeping it simple and stable.
It is important to not that all manufactures including axis have some crappy models. You must look at the specific model.
Axis has a 4k camera with a 4/3 sensor for 1800...if you can afford to spend that on a camera knock yourself out.
They also have a 4k bullet cam with a 1/1.2 sensor for for 1100...a similar hik/dahua cam will run 230-300....and in three years you can upgrade to the latest and greatest which will be lightyears ahead of both..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Hik and Dahua ban only applies to government facilities. They are still available to homeowners.

Dahua was not bought out. You are thinking of Lorex that was sold as they were made by Dahua.

Pay attention to sensor size. More MP isn't always better, especially when more MP is stuffed on a sensor designed for lower MP.

One of the reasons you see grainy night video is many companies shove 4K on a sensor designed for 2MP or 720P and thus need 4 to 6 times the light and a 2MP would be better.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a great thread for you to review.

It calls out the commonly recommended camera based on distance to IDENTIFY. As mentioned above, you are spending 4-5 times for an Axis on a similar sized sensor to a Dahua or Hik and I assure you that the image quality for like sized sensors isn't worth that increase. I am sure many of the videos you have seen that showed Axis on top were not fair fights and were being shown against cameras with much worse MP/sensor ratios.

1688916346621.png

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding this web-browser issue - do Hikvision cameras have the same issue - that you need to use IE to work with them?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding this web-browser issue - do Hikvision cameras have the same issue - that you need to use IE to work with them?
Microsoft IE is dead and gone so you can't use it anymore.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Microsoft IE is dead and gone so you can't use it anymore.

That is incorrect...

Explorer is still there and there are ways to get Explorer again.

The simple way is to change the BHO folder to another name like oldBHO and BAM Explorer is back...and this thread also shows other ways...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\110.0.1512.48\

Then change BHO to oldBHO or something else and Explorer will open

Looks Like Internet Explorer Died Today

Or this way:

Trouble with new DS-2CD3B86G2T-IZHSY -missing part of menu

"But I upgraded to Win11" .... yep still available:

Internet Explorer via W11

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes some models suffer from the same issue.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is incorrect...

Explorer is still there and there are ways to get Explorer again.

The simple way is to change the BHO folder to another name like oldBHO and BAM Explorer is back...and this thread also shows other ways...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\110.0.1512.48\

Then change BHO to oldBHO or something else and Explorer will open

Looks Like Internet Explorer Died Today

Or this way:

Trouble with new DS-2CD3B86G2T-IZHSY -missing part of menu

"But I upgraded to Win11" .... yep still available:

Internet Explorer via W11
Well great...that's good to know. I just used IE Tab with Chrome and it worked fine for an old FLIR camera at work. I'm not a big fan of Microsoft Edge and I try to avoid using it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well great...that's good to know. I just used IE Tab with Chrome and it worked fine for an old FLIR camera at work. I'm not a big fan of Microsoft Edge and I try to avoid using it.
Yeah the IE tab will be fine for many cameras, but the older Dahua PTZs still need actual IE if you want autotracking for longer than 15 seconds lol