How to Add SWNHD-887MSFB Camera to Swann NVR-8580?

Reaction score
[New guy here...not sure which forum to post this question...]

I volunteer at a non-profit thrift store. We recently added three Swann SWNHD-887MSFB cameras to our Swann NVR-8580 system, but we have been unable to configure them to work with the other cameras i.e. it appears as though the default IP addresses that the new cameras have collide with the existing ones, causing all sorts of problems. Attempts to modify the IP addresses of the new cameras to fit into our system are either refused, or accepted without actually using the new addresses I provide.

Here is the setup screen showing one of the pending new cameras, and some of the existing ones at the bottom:

swann_nvr_camera_screen.jpg

Note that the IP address of the new detected camera is 172.16.1.153, but this is not acceptable since we already have a camera with that address. I cannot successful change it to a safe value (e.g. 172.16.1.164) -- is this even the place to make such an attempt?

When attempting to modify one of the new cameras (for a a new IP), it is also not clear what the other parameters need to be adjusted too e.g. gateway address, netmask, port number, userid/password, ONVIF or private, etc. I am not sure if I should be making these look the same as the other cameras we already have.

Thanks for any help! I am not convinced that the Swann help forum has enough activity to answer my questions, and without help we might have no choice except for pay for assistance (which is difficult for a non-profit).swann_nvr_camera_screen.jpg

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
If you unplug one of the cams that work and replace it with a cam with an IP that clashes. After you plug in the other camera
(providing it works when plugged in) Go into System>Advanced> Try to load cam default ip settings etc.
See if it changes there.
GL

Reaction score
If you unplug one of the cams that work and replace it with a cam with an IP that clashes. After you plug in the other camera
(providing it works when plugged in) Go into System>Advanced> Try to load cam default ip settings etc.
See if it changes there.
GL
Good suggestion! What I had already tried was testing a change to the IP address of an existing/working camera (to a new unused value) but the NVR lost contact with it -- until I changed it back. This puzzles me -- shouldn't I have the right/ability to do this? Its almost as if the camera itself is 'not listening' when I ask the internal IP address to change...

Reaction score
UPDATE: No matter what approaches I take, I am unable to alter the IP addresses of the new cameras to avoid collisions with existing ones -- just as I am unable to alter the IP addresses of the existing cameras to make room for the new ones. If I unplug existing cameras at an IP address to make room -- I am able to see that the new cameras work! But as soon as both old/new are present, they interfere with each other since they share an IP address. :(

Dingoboy77

n3wb
Reaction score
Try powering the camera from a wall socket, then connect the camera ethernet port to a computer. Wait for the camera to start up (you will likely hear it click as it goes through the boot sequence). Open internet explorer, then type the ip address of the camera in the url. This will bring you to the cameras GUI login screen. Enter the default username and password of the camera. I've never used a Swann camera so I don't know the options available to you, but navigate to a menu related to "Network" or something similar. If there is an option for DHCP, make sure it is disabled. If there is an option for static IP, make sure it is enabled. On that screen you should also have the ability to enter any IP you want to use for that camera. Note: Make sure to save your changes!! Log out of the camera, unplug the power supply (I'm just assuming the system is PoE), plug the camera back into the NVR and it should show with the new ip address.

Reaction score
Try powering the camera from a wall socket, then connect the camera ethernet port to a computer. Wait for the camera to start up (you will likely hear it click as it goes through the boot sequence). Open internet explorer, then type the ip address of the camera in the url. This will bring you to the cameras GUI login screen. Enter the default username and password of the camera. I've never used a Swann camera so I don't know the options available to you, but navigate to a menu related to "Network" or something similar. If there is an option for DHCP, make sure it is disabled. If there is an option for static IP, make sure it is enabled. On that screen you should also have the ability to enter any IP you want to use for that camera. Note: Make sure to save your changes!! Log out of the camera, unplug the power supply (I'm just assuming the system is PoE), plug the camera back into the NVR and it should show with the new ip address.
Thanks for the advise! First question: is this 'normal' i.e. do new cameras need to be configured this way, and not automatically configured merely by connection to an existing NVR camera network? I cannot imagine a typical amateur such as myself doing this -- so maybe that explains why security technicians are usually involved (?). That said, I have worked with Linux (and basic networking skills) for many years.

On a practical level, the new cameras are already installed and lines run through our thrift store attic. Since I have access to the ethernet lines as they enter the NVR, can I try using a POE converter/injector to supply power, and then plug the cable into a laptop for the IP address configuration? Very unclear whether the power for such a thing is 12v or 48v (cannot find info on the camera specs that even talk about such things). Other sites suggest installing 'Swannview Link' as part of this type of process.

Dingoboy77

n3wb
Reaction score
To answer the question of "is this normal?", the short answer is for ip cameras = yes. All ip cams will come with a default ip assigned. This means that every new ip camera from the same manufacturer will/should have the same ip and create the conflict you are experiencing. That being said, not all manufacturers use the same default ip.

The question of do they need to be done this way or can they be automatically configured is completely up to you. It is not necessary to do it this way, but as your network grows, the greater the need to be able to identify and control the devices on your network will be. For example, the network you have shown in your original post indicates a network of 11 cameras. It would be perfectly fine to just have your NVR automatically assign an ip to the camera and you would probably not have any issues. I chose to explain how to assign a static ip because that explanation will get you to where you need to be regardless of how your network, NVR, or camera was configured.

For the difficulty you are experiencing with the camera already being installed making it difficult to use the method I explained, all I can say is "been there done that!" and I would be willing to bet that hundreds of people on this forum (myself included) had identical experiences. It's important to ensure that things are working before you put the effort into physically installing them in any location or run the risk of having to go pull the thing back down to do the steps that were skipped in the setup. We didn't learn to swear like sailors by doing things right the first time!

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
POE=YES
12V center pin positive
Look over here too...

Reaction score
To answer the question of "is this normal?", the short answer is for ip cameras = yes. All ip cams will come with a default ip assigned. This means that every new ip camera from the same manufacturer will/should have the same ip and create the conflict you are experiencing. That being said, not all manufacturers use the same default ip.

The question of do they need to be done this way or can they be automatically configured is completely up to you. It is not necessary to do it this way, but as your network grows, the greater the need to be able to identify and control the devices on your network will be. For example, the network you have shown in your original post indicates a network of 11 cameras. It would be perfectly fine to just have your NVR automatically assign an ip to the camera and you would probably not have any issues. I chose to explain how to assign a static ip because that explanation will get you to where you need to be regardless of how your network, NVR, or camera was configured.

For the difficulty you are experiencing with the camera already being installed making it difficult to use the method I explained, all I can say is "been there done that!" and I would be willing to bet that hundreds of people on this forum (myself included) had identical experiences. It's important to ensure that things are working before you put the effort into physically installing them in any location or run the risk of having to go pull the thing back down to do the steps that were skipped in the setup. We didn't learn to swear like sailors by doing things right the first time!
Thanks again! The configuration screens on the Swann NVR certainly appear to be capable of adjusting/fixing the parameters of the new cameras (including the IP address), which would make this a lot easier. But (as I outlined) despite my best efforts, I cannot do so. Do you think I am doing something wrong, forcing me to use this awkward 'direct-to-PC' approach to do so? I guess I will try contacting Swann tech support directly (rather than relying on their 'community support' forum) to see if I can get some straight answers out of them -- hopefully there is some 'trick' that I can use to avoid using the PC/POE-injector approach :)

I take note of web site and PDF document that I stumbled across:
These are the only ones I have found that even suggest the possible need to pre-configure a Swann IP cam before connecting it to an NVR. In hindsight, I wish that our camera installer had delayed installation before I could try something like this!

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have a router with DHCP or can you beg borrow or steal one?
If so, then set the range of assignable IPs below 17.16.1. 50
Plug camera in.
Check router to see if a new IP has been assigned.
If so, you are successful, now plug into the NVR scan and set it up.

Reaction score
Do you have a router with DHCP or can you beg borrow or steal one?
If so, then set the range of assignable IPs below 17.16.1. 50
Plug camera in.
Check router to see if a new IP has been assigned.
If so, you are successful, now plug into the NVR scan and set it up.
As a thrift store, we have lots of used routers that we can use for a reason like this (without disturbing our real one being used to connect to the Internet). However, I am unsure if we have a proper POE injector (12v) to augment the connection of the camera(s) to the router (seeing as the cameras themselves are no longer directly accessible). For our situation, though -- in order to avoid IP address collisions -- I think we need to force the IP addresses to particular values (?). Are you saying that a router merely using DHCP to connect to them will make them retain the assigned values for when we later transplant them to the NVR?

Dingoboy77

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again! The configuration screens on the Swann NVR certainly appear to be capable of adjusting/fixing the parameters of the new cameras (including the IP address), which would make this a lot easier. But (as I outlined) despite my best efforts, I cannot do so. Do you think I am doing something wrong, forcing me to use this awkward 'direct-to-PC' approach to do so? I guess I will try contacting Swann tech support directly (rather than relying on their 'community support' forum) to see if I can get some straight answers out of them -- hopefully there is some 'trick' that I can use to avoid using the PC/POE-injector approach :)

I take note of web site and PDF document that I stumbled across:
These are the only ones I have found that even suggest the possible need to pre-configure a Swann IP cam before connecting it to an NVR. In hindsight, I wish that our camera installer had delayed installation before I could try something like this!
From the information you have provided, it seems that DHCP is likely to have been disabled on any or all of the 3 devices (either of the x.x.x.153 cameras and/or the NVR) which is why I chose to explain the method of setting a static ip that I did. Using the method described in my original response works every time regardless of settings like these (and others). To solve your problem is likely to need to have a computer interface with the affected camera(s). You really don't even need to pull the camera down either. Just plug your computer into an open port at the back of the NVR (not the LAN port, one of the camera ports) and it will work the same as plugging the camera directly to your computer. You just have to make sure that your computer's ip is on the same subnet as the cameras (I forgot to mention that in my original response).

Dingoboy77

n3wb
Reaction score
One thing that I forgot in my last response is to make sure that if you connect your computer to the back of your NVR to connect to the camera(s) make sure you only have one of the x.x.x.153 cameras connected;)

Reaction score
One thing that I forgot in my last response is to make sure that if you connect your computer to the back of your NVR to connect to the camera(s) make sure you only have one of the x.x.x.153 cameras connected;)
Good news, thanks to the help given here! I was able to configure our new Swann cameras to have the IP addresses compatible with our system:

• Use our old Windows laptop running Internet Explorer (!!!)
  • Configure ethernet port to match DVR internet subnet (i.e.172.16.1.xx)
  • Plug laptop into open camera port on our Swann DVR
  • Plug in new/problematic camera into (new) port
  • Use NVR panel to determine IP address currently set for new camera (e.g. 172.16.1.153)
  • Unplug existing/working camera on NVR with IP address that collides with new camera (e.g. 172.16.1.153)
  • Navigate to web address of the new cameras (e.g. 172.16.1.153)
  • Get notification that required security/viewing plugin is missing
  • Install plugin and restart IE
  • Repeat navigation to new camera
  • Sign in with default username/password (i.e. admin/admin)
  • Forced prompt to change password, so do so (matching our existing system)
  • Inside the web app, navigate to Network/General
  • Adjust IP address to a new/unique one (e.g. 172.16.1.164)
  • Use NVR menu to add new camera into its proper spot
  • Prompted for invalid userid/password so fix it to use the new/correct one changed above
  • Wait a little while for everything to be recognized
  • Disconnect laptop
  • Success!
Of course this begs the oft-repeated question as to why NVR systems like this depend on using a Windows-based old (?) web browser to pre-configure (?) a new IP cam just to be able to add it to an NVR system -- and why the NVR system itself did not seem capable (?) of doing this on its own?

Thanks so much for helping and saving our non-profit some money! :)