How to allow friends family easy access to camera?

Abacojack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First, I want to say thanks for all the help this site has provided in getting me up and running.
I have seen many cases where folks provide live cams and open access so you can see Hikvision cameras without having to enter usernames/passwords.
Have a DS-2CD2332-I camera set up and would like to be able to have friends and family be able to see the live image without them having to load software and/or have to use my password.
The camera is on my network to which I have a static IP.
Can this be done without having security issues to access to other devices on my network?
Thank you in advance for any input/guidance.

LeeH

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use a DDNS and open up a port, point that to your static IP. Set up a guest account with no admin privileges.

Use use a strong username/password and connect over HTTPS if your cam allows it.

Its not risk free though.

Abacojack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use a DDNS and open up a port, point that to your static IP. Set up a guest account with no admin privileges.

Use use a strong username/password and connect over HTTPS if your cam allows it.

Its not risk free though.

Thanks for the reply
I probably should have confessed up front, I am not a techie at this stuff, but somehow stumble through it all.
I'll start looking into how to set up that DDNS, but am not sure what is meant by opening a port and setting up a guest account.
I have successfully installed the 4500 app, and opened the cam IP address ports of 80, 554 and 8000 and am able to see my cam from an outside network so far on my iPad.
But am trying to figure out how to get similar access/view for friends that only have PC computers back home.
Thanks again, and will report back progress.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dont do it.. Why do your friends and family need access to the IP Cameras from remote locations? Is it really worth the risk? What are they looking for?

If they are on your local network just setup a guest account on the camera and DONT FORWARD ANY FUCKING PORTS.. but they are still going to need the plugin installed on a browser that allows it.

LeeH

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm just like you, I just plug away and read a lot online.

Log into you cam and in the settings pick a port number in the HTTPS box. Say 2345.

Forward that port to your cam in your router, say 192.168.1.300

also in your cam (if poss) set up a second account which is not 'admin'. Call it guest5654 or something and use a strong password.

The 'guest' can the log in by going to your external IP:2345 or your DDNS mrbloggs.ddns.net:2345

A VPN is more secure though.