how to assign ipv6 address to blue iris remote connection?

bluecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been having some wonky issues on the remote end lately. I got in and I looked up what'smyip.
It shows a new long IPV6 address and says no ipv4 address available, or something like that. Do we need to adjust our remote login wlan settings for this somehow? And if so, how.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It certainly is possible to use IPv6, but there is a learning curve, so you will need to be willing and able to teach yourself. In the short term, it may be easier to use a third-party service like zerotier or ngrok to do remote access.

Here are some steps for IPv6 setup:

1. Assign a static IPv6 address to your Blue Iris PC.
2. Add a firewall rule in your router to allow incoming traffic to the address (TCP protocol, only for the BI web server port number).
3. IPv6 addresses are long and unwieldy things. I strongly recommend getting a DNS AAAA record to point at your BI PC's static IPv6 address. Use that in the mobile app and/or web browser when you connect. Some DDNS providers support IPv6 so I'm sure you can find a free option. I use no-ip but I have a paid plan and I'm not sure how good their free service is.

Remember you can only connect to IPv6 addresses from IPv6-enabled clients. Most cellular networks should have IPv6 enabled I think. But many homes and businesses will still not have it turned on so keep that in mind if you have trouble connecting remotely from some locations.