How to avoid moisture in bullett camera

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Replacing my old camera with a lot of moisture with a new one (DS-2CD3B86G2T-IZHSY) I would like to know if there is anything I can do to prevent moisture in the new one.
The camera is facing at sea (east) and sometime in heavy rainstorm. There is no way to hide it for the weather.

Any suggestions?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Disassemble it, dry it out, and replace the silica packets. Then reseal the outer case with silicon along the edge. That’s about all you can do.

It always helps to not have it get water directly on it so if you can shelter it from rain (build a little roof of wood or plastic over it) that would help.

Last edited:

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Disassemble it, dry it out, and replace the silica packets. They reseal the outer case with silicon along the edge. That’s about all you can do.

It always helps to not have it get water directly on it so if you can shelter it from rain (build a little roof of wood or plastic over it) that would help.
Thanks. I have found several suggestions earlier how to clean up and repair the old one, but my question is about the new one.
It will be placed slightly downwards, mostly to avoid morning sun directly into the lens.

These cameras can manually be moved op and down and sideways. I guess that water can come into the camera through that connection. Should I use silicon or simular there?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the best we can do to fix an affected camera and mitigate the situation to help prevent (but not guarantee) future moisture intrusion is as follows:

Wait until the ambient relative humidity is at its lowest point. Chose the driest environment you can for this procedure; in other words, the bathroom after someone took a hot, steamy shower or the kitchen after or during the stove has cooked or boiled anything is NOT a good place. This will be the biggest challenge but is likely the best way to not trap moisture-laden air inside the cam when re-assembling. Late afternoon, outdoors, sunny, no rain for 24 hours and out of direct sun may be your best bet.

Open up the cam, noting how it is assembled and what gaskets and sealant rings are in place then dry it out. Soak up excess moisture with lint-free cotton rag, handkerchief, etc. Use a small hair dryer on low to accelerate the drying out of the cam's interior but don't overheat any of the components.

Allow the cam to cool down to room temp.

Replace the bag of desiccant with a new, dry one. If you have no new bags, take the existing one, dry with hair dryer then bury in cup of uncooked, instant rice for several hours to absorb moisture from the bag.

Reassemble the cam (DON'T FORGET THE BAG OF DESICCANT), insuring OEM gaskets and sealant rings are in place. Insure that the pigtail cable entrance is sealed. If any gaskets or sealant rings are missing or damaged or the cable entrance is not sealed, you'll be wasting your time and moisture will be back in sooner than later. You should use clear, outdoor-rated silicone sealant to caulk the mating surfaces before AND after re-assembly, including the pigtail cable entrance. Allow to dry overnight before placing back into service.

Definitely caulk the pigtail where it enters the camera housing with outdoor-rated silicone caulk and and weatherproof all connections as here.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.