How to change the HDW5231R-ZE’s focal length via Blue Iris?

costib

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm currently testing HDW5231R-ZE with Blue Iris.
Is there a possibility to trigger/change the camera's Focal Length via Blue Iris during different Profiles?
Let's say during the day keep it zoomed out at 2.7mm and during night zoom in at 6mm.

PS: Oh boy, there is a lot of work to determine the optimal locations and amount&type of cameras for the whole property coverage, but this is something a tech guy loves to do.
Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one of mine set up so BI can control it. In the PTZ/Control tab, choose "Dahua HFW2300R-Z/2320R-ZA/81200E" as the type of camera. This should enable zoom buttons to work.

Now the tricky part is loading a specific zoom level. You can do this by overriding the PTZ presets in Blue Iris to load an http URL.

Zoom out all the way:
Zoom in about halfway:
Zoom in all the way:
Autofocus:
Over on the "Schedule" tab there is an "Event schedule" button which I think should have all you need to automate these changes.

Of course the focus values that work for one camera might not work for another, and last time I tried this, it was super-unreliable due to buggy firmware on the camera. Like, you'd send the request to the camera saying to zoom to 0.5 and focus to 0.5 and it would refocus but not change zoom. Then you'd send the command again and it would zoom and focus to the wrong value. Then you'd send the command a third time and it might stay at the correct zoom level and get itself focused correctly. It was a bit crazy. So good luck.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been using presets (zoom+focus) through BI 'PTZ control' on my 5231E-Z12. Was looking for an implementation of the autofocus command, easier to search here than to bother reading dahua API. Thanks!