How to chose separate Alert drive folders

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have two drives on my BI PC. I created 3 folders for each drive in my clips and archiving settings.
BI Settings.png

My cameras are all set to "continuous + triggered". I then set half the cameras to record to "New_1" and half to "New_2". My problem is that ALL my alerts (recordings due to motion) are saving in the "Alert_1" folder. I can't find a way to change that to "Alert_2" on half the cameras. Does anyone know if this can be done?

BI triggered.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Typically Alerts are left on the the C drive. and the recorded footage I put in New or AUX 1thru 13. Im splitting the load on two drives.
I have 17 cameras I'm using 2 drives, and an SSD for C:\
Alerts go to SSd
jpegs and.bvr's go to the F: and E: drives.
I had to click on that three dot box to the right of E:\ Blue Iris\New and point to the folders. I created
AUX1 Aux2 Au3...alll the way to Aux 10 on one drive and AUX 11-12-13 on the other drive.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't believe that is possible and you run a risk of messing up the system renaming it.

The help file says:

The Alerts folder will remain empty unless you have asked for hi-res alert images on the
Record tab in camera settings. The Alerts folder may not be used otherwise for direct recording, even
if you rename it
. Each folder may be configured to reference a different volume or drive entirely—excluding
the Alerts folder, that is a total of nine possible drives.

So I suspect you must be saving hi-res alert images? You could save jpeg and force those in a folder and then the alerts folder will stay empty (unless you are using DeepStack and using the burn image option).

You should consider not moving files to stored, especially if it is the same HDD - that is just taxing the system. No advantage moving to stored. BI and the database knows where the files are and moving them just increases the failure rate of the HDD and uses CPU.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
when you embolden/click on Alerts_2 does it populate the correct drive letter and folder in the menu box where it's showing E:\BlueIris|NEw?

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I view my cameras on the web viewer I have a drop-down on the left with a list of my storage locations. New_1 and New_2 record the continous for the cameras, half on New_1 and half on New_2. But on all cameras all my alerts with motion video are under Alert_1. I was trying to make it so half of the alerts are on Alert_2.

I mainly want to do this to balance hard drive space. It sounds like it's not possible. I have two 8TB hard drives, so it's probably a pointless endeavor.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The alerts dont consume a lot of space. no worries. on my little SSD 250GB i have alerts set to like 75Gb.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have my alerts folder set to 3GB and it goes back months of alerts...