How to conect NVR to tv over the network?

iivisionii

n3wb
Reaction score
I got Reolink NVR, my tv is LG webos which limits unfortunately many options in terms of programs that i can use to stream and from what i can tell there is none available to stream the cameras. Would HDMI to cat 5e over the network somehow work? Is there some other options except to connect NVR directly to the tv over HDMI?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got Reolink NVR, my tv is LG webos which limits unfortunately many options in terms of programs that i can use to stream and from what i can tell there is none available to stream the cameras. Would HDMI to cat 5e over the network somehow work? Is there some other options except to connect NVR directly to the tv over HDMI?
What distance are you talking about from NVR to TV?
I ask because there are some 'active' HDMI cables available up to a certain length or the HDMI-over-CAT5 may also work for you.
There's direct HDMI over CAT-5 adapters (preferred) and HDMI over IP (more costly, probably not necessary).
I would not consider wireless HDMI...costly and not all that highly rated.

So before you look, see how you can route the cable and what your budget is.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cable is around 100 feet. It's connected directly to the router.
Can you run another CAT-5e from the NVR to the TV for a HDMI-to-Cat5 adapter (non-networked)?
Or is it so much trouble you're considering the HDMI-over-IP (networked) ?

iivisionii

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you run another CAT-5e from the NVR to the TV for a HDMI-to-Cat5 adapter (non-networked)?
Or is it so much trouble you're considering the HDMI-over-IP (networked) ?
It's a homerun cable. I got 2 of them. I can plug in to the cat 5e jack.

iivisionii

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
looks like one possible product to try. I'd be happy if it did 1080 HD. I've been thinking about doing that to my Kitchen TV so the girls can see who's outside, they spend a fair amount of time hanging around the Center island (peninsula) in the kitchen,,,The reviews aren't horrible....hard to weed out the bull crap with product reviews sometimes. If they get enough reviews, and a high enough score, then I check around, to compare similar products, and who is the least happy.

iivisionii

n3wb
Reaction score
looks like one possible product to try. I'd be happy if it did 1080 HD. I've been thinking about doing that to my Kitchen TV so the girls can see who's outside, they spend a fair amount of time hanging around the Center island (peninsula) in the kitchen,,,The reviews aren't horrible....hard to weed out the bull crap with product reviews sometimes. If they get enough reviews, and a high enough score, then I check around, to compare similar products, and who is the least happy.
I did more searching, this one for same price looks to be better. Someone said for cat 5 65 feet is the limit. I did more checking and look like my is only 34 meters(52 feet) so hopefully will work. Will do more searching in case i am able to find something better.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I did more searching, this one for same price looks to be better. Someone said for cat 5 65 feet is the limit. I did more checking and look like my is only 34 meters(52 feet) so hopefully will work. Will do more searching in case i am able to find something better.
How's the vendor's return policy? We have brick and mortar stores in our area that have amazon return kiosks in them. It makes the process a it simpler, as they box up the item being returned.

iivisionii

n3wb
Reaction score
How's the vendor's return policy? We have brick and mortar stores in our area that have amazon return kiosks in them. It makes the process a it simpler, as they box up the item being returned.
With Amazon being the sender, all you do is request return and take it to any UPS store and they pack it. I done it few times with no issue at all.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need a modulator. You’d connect the hdmi out from your nvr to the hdmi in on the modulator. The modulator connects to your home antenna system via its coax out. That feeds to a central coax hub where all your tv coax cables feed from to each room. The hub should have a few inputs and outputs. It basically broadcasts a signal. You scan your tv and presto it picks up the feed from the nvr. Nvr feed to every room.

iivisionii

n3wb
Reaction score
You need a modulator. You’d connect the hdmi out from your nvr to the hdmi in on the modulator. The modulator connects to your home antenna system via its coax out. That feeds to a central coax hub where all your tv coax cables feed from to each room. The hub should have a few inputs and outputs. It basically broadcasts a signal. You scan your tv and presto it picks up the feed from the nvr. Nvr feed to every room.
Can you recommend any? I do have coax in the closet exactly where the NVR is sitting so that might be another possible way of doing it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would something like this work for me?
Only if that CAT-5e or 6 is a "dry" cable on both ends (NOT part of a network, NOT plugged into a switch or anything).
I'd try the 1080p version, good over 100 feet easy, also an easy return to amazon if no joy.

iivisionii

n3wb
Reaction score
Only if that CAT-5e or 6 is a "dry" cable on both ends (NOT part of a network, NOT plugged into a switch or anything).
I'd try the 1080p version, good over 100 feet easy, also an easy return to amazon if no joy.
Good observation, yes i will probably give 1080p a try. I am considering maybe i can just use amazon fire stick 4k being it runs android and just run an app through that. I haven't checked yet to see if it's fast enough to do that.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good observation, yes i will probably give 1080p a try. I am considering maybe i can just use amazon fire stick 4k being it runs android and just run an app through that. I haven't checked yet to see if it's fast enough to do that.
You can also sideload the Android app TinyCam on the Firestick and maybe stream the NVR that way.

iivisionii

n3wb
Reaction score
You can also sideload the Android app TinyCam on the Firestick and maybe stream the NVR that way.
You just saved me bunch of money. Thank you very much. I have an old android kodi box which i thought was too slow for anything but it's able to run Tinycam with no problem. Do you know if it's possible to switch to all cameras in one page or do i need to buy pro version for that if so i will just buy it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You just saved me bunch of money. Thank you very much.
Great! and you're welcome.
Do you know if it's possible to switch to all cameras in one page or do i need to buy pro version for that if so i will just buy it.
No, I don't. I recall buying the Pro version for this Sony (Android) TV since it was only $4.99, IIRC.