How to Configure Hikvision NVR 7104 with DS-2CD2032

smpillai11

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a noob question. I am trying to configure Configure Hikvision NVR 7104 with Hikvision DS-2CD2032. I have installed hdd and initialised it. However my NVR is not able to find any cameras. The NVR LAN ports lights blinks indicating there is some communication happening. The cameras are working as I tried connecting to router as I am able to access them. When I search for cameras it says nothing found. I am initially trying to connect the cameras to the NVR and get it working without connecting NVR to router.

Do the cameras need to be configured manually? Any good guides on how to do this? Any help on this would be appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am initially trying to connect the cameras to the NVR and get it working without connecting NVR to router.
To do this - assuming you are using a switch that the NVR and each camera is connected to - you will need to choose an IP address range, and configure NVR and cameras with their own fixed IP address within the range.
You can conveniently do this using SADP on a PC that's also connected to the switch.
When you've done that - you should be able to add the camera on the NVR, using the IP addresses that you have set on them.

Good luck!

smpillai11

n3wb
Reaction score
To do this - assuming you are using a switch that the NVR and each camera is connected to - you will need to choose an IP address range, and configure NVR and cameras with their own fixed IP address within the range.
You can conveniently do this using SADP on a PC that's also connected to the switch.
When you've done that - you should be able to add the camera on the NVR, using the IP addresses that you have set on them.

Good luck!
I have the cameras connected directly to the NVR PoE ports. Currently I would like to use NVR and Cameras without connection to any network. Would this setup work?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the cameras connected directly to the NVR PoE ports
OK, that's new information (PoE ports on the NVR).
You may need to set the NVR PoE ports as 'Manual' instead of Plug&Play, note down the assigned IP address (something like 192.168.254.x perhaps) and manually configure each camera IP address to the same setting before plugging the camera into the PoE port.

NVR and cameras will work OK with no connection to the router - though the timing will drift a little with no access to an internet time source.
Assuming you have explicitly set unique static IP address on all the devices, in the same range of addresses.
If you need access to the web GUI, you will need to plug in a PC with it's IP address set to one in the same range.

smpillai11

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, that's new information (PoE ports on the NVR).
You may need to set the NVR PoE ports as 'Manual' instead of Plug&Play, note down the assigned IP address (something like 192.168.254.x perhaps) and manually configure each camera IP address to the same setting before plugging the camera into the PoE port.

NVR and cameras will work OK with no connection to the router - though the timing will drift a little with no access to an internet time source.
Assuming you have explicitly set unique static IP address on all the devices, in the same range of addresses.
If you need access to the web GUI, you will need to plug in a PC with it's IP address set to one in the same range.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this but still the NVR does not see the camera. I have uploaded a few pics of my settings.
When I connect the same camera to my router, I am able to access it (the camera is working fine)
I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this

20160105_230122.jpg20160105_230230.jpg20160105_232455_HDR.jpg20160105_234305.jpgsadp.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Your network settings for the channel D1 and the camera look fine - I would have expected that to work OK.
And I don't think firmware 5.3.0 on the camera should be a problem for the NVR.
Have you done the same test with the other camera with its 5.2.3 firmware?
What resolution do you have the cameras set to? If not 1080p that may be the cause of the problem.
The 7104 is specified as 2MP max.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hikvision NVR with integrated POE ports are for dummies. Connect the IPC to the POE port, and done. There really isn't much more you should be doing if the camera is using admin/12345.

Since your NVR seems to be chinese, your problems might be due to missmatching languages/missmatching firmwares.

smpillai11

n3wb
Reaction score
Your network settings for the channel D1 and the camera look fine - I would have expected that to work OK.
And I don't think firmware 5.3.0 on the camera should be a problem for the NVR.
Have you done the same test with the other camera with its 5.2.3 firmware?
What resolution do you have the cameras set to? If not 1080p that may be the cause of the problem.
The 7104 is specified as 2MP max.
I have not tested with 5.2.3. will try today evening and also check resolution

smpillai11

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision NVR with integrated POE ports are for dummies. Connect the IPC to the POE port, and done. There really isn't much more you should be doing if the camera is using admin/12345.

Since your NVR seems to be chinese, your problems might be due to missmatching languages/missmatching firmwares.
I had to change password on first connection to the camera so its no longer 12345. The camera would not accept 12345 (alphanumeric was required)
Both camera and NVR are set to English language. Do the firmware numbers have to match up?

I got both from aliexpress

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera would not accept 12345 (alphanumeric was required)
Yes, the new strong password requirement.
Which you can also explicitly set on the NVR PoE port configuration when in 'manual' mode.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just looked at your screenshot. Why is the gateway different from the IP address. Shouldn't it be on the same subnet? 192.168.254.2 > gateway should be 192.168.254.1

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct.
However, that's how the NVR automatically configures the camera network settings when the PoE port is in Plug and Play mode.
If you need to have the cameras able to communicate outside of the PoE network, then the PoE port must be set to 'Manual' so that the camera is not auto-configured, and the camera network settings can be modified.

smpillai11

n3wb
Reaction score
:laugh: Yaaay!!! Sorted with the NVR. The problem was something to do with the NVR on-screen keyboard. The password does not seem to enter correctly. Believe me I tried entering the same password at least 50 times. The NVR GUI is not great, it does not give a password error but shows as if no camera is detected. My Eureka moment was when I tried the Web GUI for the NVR which shows the password is incorrect. I typed the password on the web GUI using my laptop and presto the camera showed up.

I had to set the cameras to the IP address displayed on the NVR camera ports ( 192.168.254.x). Thanks alastairstevenson for this suggestion.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for getting there.
Were you using the mouse to select letters on the on-screen keyboard on the VGA/HDMI interface?
I have found that depending on the firmware version it is very unreliable, in the sense of often getting multiple clicks.
It works much better with a real keyboard plugged in where you can type the letters.

smpillai11

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, was using the mouse. I think the problem here is hikvision moving from numeric password to alpahnumeric. The numeric password would have worked fine with the mouse. For entering alphanumeric you have to click on the on-screen keyboard which does not send the correct characters

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice easy fix that one :)

7104 and 2032, massively underrated budget system which is 95% as good as the more expensive stuff. Good choice!