How to connect distant cameras from home to the network? (Sketch attached)

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I have created a sketch to describe the current situation (Attached), hope it helps.

I bought seven IPC-HFW4431R-Z Dahua cameras. (number 1-7 in sketch)
I already have one SD59430U-HN PTZ Dahua camera. (number 8 in sketch)
Plan to buy another 5 cameras soon. (number 9-13 in sketch)

I have some cameras away from home (9-13) and I'm not sure how to connect them all to the network. There is one network cable that reaches the remote area as described in the sketch. I can't add more cables.

Do I need a dedicated POE switch for the remote area? How many do I need?

Which POE switch should I buy? It is a bit confusing because there are many of these with differences technical specifications. In addition to that some of them Chinese products at cheap prices and some products of well-known companies at more expensive prices.

I would be happy to receive any help in connecting the cameras to the network in the best and most stable way.
remot
Thanks

Attachments

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One network cable is fine. Yes, you should get a single POE switch, place it in the remote location, and wire the cams to the switch. Do a quick search and you will find a lot of threads on switches. I was going to link a thread but couldn't get it to work.

You won't need to spend a ton, an 8 port switch will work in your case.

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes you can connect multiple switches to your router. You can also connect switches to switches. In your case, an 8 port poe switch at the remote location to cover those 5 cameras (9-13). That switch should connect back over the existing lan cable you have pictured and plug into your router.

For the other cams (1-8) it would depend somewhat on your wiring, but you could get an 8 pot poe switch with an additional uplink port (9 ports total). Plug that into your router as well.

Are you running an nvr or blue Iris? Do you plan on remote access?

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I use BI and I plan to have remote access.

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you were going with a DVR I would suggest connecting the switches to the dvr and then the dvr to your router. In your case, i would connect it all into the router.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't forget that you'll need power in the remote location to power the POE switch. You said that you couldn't add more cables so you might end up trenching in power unless you've got an outlet or existing lighting near your entrance.

You can get POE+ powered network switches that feed multiple lesser-powered POE cameras, but I don't remember seeing any with 5 or more "output" POE ports plus a POE+ feeder port.

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Don't forget that you'll need power in the remote location to power the POE switch. You said that you couldn't add more cables so you might end up trenching in power unless you've got an outlet or existing lighting near your entrance.

You can get POE+ powered network switches that feed multiple lesser-powered POE cameras, but I don't remember seeing any with 5 or more "output" POE ports plus a POE+ feeder port.
There is an available power source there.

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The main confusion was whether it was possible to connect two POE switches to a router. I realized that this is possible.

Do I need a special POE switch because of the distance? What is the speed of data transfer? Is this something related to the router only?

Thank you all for your help.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Any POE switch will handle 100m. That's the spec. Your remote switch with 5 cameras will be fine if it is a 10/100 switch. (The 100 is Megabits and each cam, depending on quality settings, will probably be 6 Mbits) So will the one with 8 cameras if they both plug into a gigabit router. If you're running out of ports on the router, you could plug both 100Mbit camera POE switches into a gigabit switch which plugs into your router or perhaps use a 16 port gigabit POE switch for the 8 local cameras and use the extra ports for your uplink to the router and any extras you'd need.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello,

I have created a sketch to describe the current situation (Attached), hope it helps.

I bought seven IPC-HFW4431R-Z Dahua cameras. (number 1-7 in sketch)
I already have one SD59430U-HN PTZ Dahua camera. (number 8 in sketch)
Plan to buy another 5 cameras soon. (number 9-13 in sketch)

I have some cameras away from home (9-13) and I'm not sure how to connect them all to the network. There is one network cable that reaches the remote area as described in the sketch. I can't add more cables.

Do I need a dedicated POE switch for the remote area? How many do I need?

Which POE switch should I buy? It is a bit confusing because there are many of these with differences technical specifications. In addition to that some of them Chinese products at cheap prices and some products of well-known companies at more expensive prices.

I would be happy to receive any help in connecting the cameras to the network in the best and most stable way.
remot
Thanks
As others had mention, cabling is the best option. In some cases, where cabling is not possible, you may create a wireless bridge between two points (your house and the remote location) or multiple points (your house and several remote locations). Remember there should be line-of-sight between both antennas, ac to power the poe switch

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ethernet distance max is specified at 100m (meters) or 327 feet. Speed is auto-negotiated to the fastest speed both devices support. Your router is almost certainly has gigabit ports or 1000Mbps. If you get a 10/100 switch, then the link between your switch and router will fall back to the fastest speed supported by both which is 100. Which is fine for the cameras.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I normally use the Ubiquiti Nano Station Loco M5. You need to configure in a bridge mode (one is the transmitter on the remote camera(s) site, while the other antenna is the receiver in the house-nvr). Let's say you need to mount 4 cameras in a pole. You may use a water-proof pvc box, like a 8"x8"x4" with 120Vac outlets. Included inside is the PoE switch and the power supply for the antenna (Ubiquiti is 24Vdv while the PoE switch is 48Vdc). I drill small holes at the bottom of the box, covered them inside with perforated metal mesh and include a small 12Vdc brush-less fan to exhaust the hot temperature of the PoE). I had used inexpensive Trendnet TPE-S50 (15.4 Watts per port) to power 4 cameras, while the 5-port goes to the antenna. A bridge is basically and extension of your wired LAN, but wireless. At the other end (your house), you connect the receiving antenna pointing the remote site (in this case the pole). Repeat the connection of the remaining cameras in the same way. If more than 4 cameras, use an 8-ports PoE switch. My experience with Chinese brands is not bad. It will cost around $135

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on what @eggsan said. I have done several of these and they work great and are especially valuable where severe lightning can be a issue (as here in the southeast U.S.). More help on the Layer 2 Transparent Bridge setup >> here <<==.

Here's one I installed a few months ago between a customer's house and barn:

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

Last edited: