how to create a timelapse video from still images / snapshots

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one camera set to take a single image snapshot every minute. I see the snapshots in Clips/New section of the UI. So that works, but I'd like it to generate a timelapse video. I thought that's what the "Combine or cut video" checkmark function does?

I had this working at one time before redoing my server. Previously, there was a long day-long video clip of all the snapshots.

1623347895023.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try this:
Create a new cam, make it a clone of the cam you want to use for time lapse. This way, the original cam can continue undisturbed performing continuous or motion-triggered recording.

On the cloned cam, go to "camera settings", "record" tab, "video file format and compression" button at bottom right and click radio button of "MPEG-4" then click "OK".

Also on the clone cam, go to "camera settings", "record" tab, change "video" drop-down setting to "Periodic", select interval between recording and duration of record. I used "1:00" for "Min." (INTERVAL) and "2.0" for "sec." (DURATION). This means every 1 minute record for 2 seconds. Click "OK".

Let it run for 10-15 minutes then go to BI's "New" folder and view the MP4 file, adjust interval and duration to your liking. BTW, the default folder "New" can be changed to a different and/or newly created folder and selected back on the clone cam's "Record" tab.

This info is found in BI's built-in "Help" under "Recording and Clips" => "Recording Options."

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use the open source command line tool ffmpeg for almost all my video file manipulations.. to turn all JPG's in a directory into a timelapse mp4 at 4 frames/second, something like...

Code:
ffmpeg -framerate 4 -pattern_type glob -i "*.jpg" -c:v libx264 -crf 0 output.mp4

Last edited:

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
or, for bonus points, turn all the jpgs from camera hikv1 on the given set of dates into a separate timelapse for each day, using Windows CMD language, (this would be in a .bat file)

Code:
for %%d in (20210601 20210602 20210603 20210604 20210605 20210606) do ffmpeg -framerate 10 -pattern_type glob -i "hikv1.%%d_*.jpg" -c:v libx264 -crf 0 timelapse_hikv1.%%d.mp3