How to delete non-existant PoE cams from Hik NVR to add network cams?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Messing around with a Hik NVR 7608NI-E2/8P (fw vers 3.4.103), I have 2 cams connected and working on the PoE ports,
and it seems to 'see' other hikvision cams out my home network, but I'm unable to add any of them since it thinks I have 8 cams already.

So i try to delete the cams from the PoE ports that don't have anything connected, but I can't (see photo).
Seriously? I can't delete non-existant cameras? Seems kinda backwards...

I can't delete existing or non-existing cams from the PoE ports, or any of the cams it sees out on the network.
Why is there even a delete button if it never does anything?

How can I free up the camera slots from unused PoE ports so I can add cams from my network (up to the limit of 8)?

TIA, Paul.

View attachment 5984949791760927_6ad65c2161_k.jpg

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the manual for the NVR says "The Plug-and-Play camera cannot be deleted and edit in this interface "

so not helpful...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How can I free up the camera slots from unused PoE ports so I can add cams from my network (up to the limit of 8)?
The channels linked to PoE ports are pre-defined and can't be deleted.
To re-allocate a PoE channel for a LAN-connected camera, set the channel to Manual from Plug&Play, and change the IP address to the LAN IP address of the LAN-connected camera.

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is an ongoing issue whiteout a straight resolution. I previously removed couple of IP cameras from a NVR 7608NI-E2/8P Hikvision NVR and even after changing both records from PnP to Manual I still can't delete them. Cameras are gone, so there's no need to change any IP address on them.

Anyone has a suggestion on how can I reuse those two PoE ports for other cameras, please? I'd like to now reset the NVR to defaults for something that should be a very simple task.

Thank you!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I previously removed couple of IP cameras from a NVR 7608NI-E2/8P Hikvision NVR and even after changing both records from PnP to Manual I still can't delete them.
I'm not sure if you want to simply place different cameras on the unused NVR PoE ports.
Or re-use the PoE channels to connect to LAN-connected cameras, as you've mentioned the desire to 'delete them' as opposed to just plugging in other cameras.

To connect a new camera to an NVR PoE port, that is in Plug&Play mode - reset the camera to defaults so that it is 'Inactive' and connect it to the NVR PoE port.
The NVR will 'Activate' the camera and it will connect.

Alternatively - with the NVR channel in Manual mode :
Change an activated camera IP address to be the same as the IP address that's set on the chosen NVR channel, and ensure the NVR channel has the same admin password as is set on the camera.
Connect the camera to the NVR PoE port and it will connect as normal.

Or - if maybe for network wiring topology reasons you want to connect a camera that's on the same LAN address range as the NVR -

The NVR PoE channels are fixed, you can't delete them.
But you can re-use them to connect to any cameras that have IP addresses on the same subnet as the NVR LAN interface.
There should be no camera plugged in to the channel.

Change the mode of the chosen channel to Manual instead of Plug&Play.
Change the IP address to match that of the chosen camera that's connected to the LAN.
Change the camera password as needed.
Save the settings.
The LAN-connected camera will connect as normal.

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, I'll try to connect a different camera and see what's going on. The new camera is non-Hik and probably not PnP, but I'll see how it works and I'll get back here.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If its not a Hikvision camera you'll need to use the channel in Manual mode and change the connection protocol.
This will be either Onvif or Custom depending on the camera capabilities.

Reactions: trl