How to determine what size lense is on a camera?

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but does anyone know how I can determine the size of the lense on a camera besides using the model number or the box?

I cannot find anything in the cameras GUI where it states the lense size like 2.88mm, 4mm, 8-32mm? Is there something that I am missing where it would clearly state the lense size rather than looking at the model number or on the box?

Reaction score
I asked a guy that work for Hikvision, the same question, and the answer was "There is no other way". There is no way to identify it. (besides the ones allready mentioned.)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I can think of a few ways.
- The cam gui will give you the mfgr name, right? Check on-line for what cams they offer, with their corresponding lens sizes. That will narrow down the possibilities for lens size.
- Check the camera calculator at IPVM site. Compare theoretical views (from that site's tools) based on lens size of the chosen cam on IPVM, to your actual view. That should get you close.
- Using your cam, measure the distance to a specific spot in the FOV, say 20ft away. At that spot, measure the width of your FOV. Knowing the width of what's being viewed, and that distance, you've determined the dimensions of the "pie slice" of your FOV. Compare to FOV of various images at ipvm or elsewhere.
- If your purpopse is to replace the cam by purchasing another cam of tbd lens size, you could instead buy a varifocal cam. Then you can "dial in" the exact FOV you want.

Good luck!
Fastb

1578001074148.png1578001187806.jpeg

SecurityCams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would have thought hikvision could tell you if you gave them the serial number which you can get using SADP.

otherwise..Take the camera apart the lens angle is printed on a label On the pc board the lens is mounted on. These pics are from a hikvision bullet you only need to remove the three screws holding the camera body together

Attachments

Last edited: