How to encrypt the HDD?

rockman413

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm using Hikvision 7600 series, In case the theif stole/ took away the whole NVR I'm thinking to encrypt the HDD. Wondering if anyone know how to do this?
I tried take out and plug my HDD to my mac but it's not readable though. Anyone know what type of format is this the HDD working inside the NVR?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can understand losing your videos if the NVR gets stolen but what could be recorded on a NVR that you don't want a thief to see? It just seems like a lot of trouble to go to if that's the reason. :wtf: :idk:

Last edited:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm using Hikvision 7600 series, In case the theif stole/ took away the whole NVR I'm thinking to encrypt the HDD. Wondering if anyone know how to do this?
I tried take out and plug my HDD to my mac but it's not readable though. Anyone know what type of format is this the HDD working inside the NVR?
I'm not sure if this applies to your model of NVR:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless the NVR supports encryption natively then I don’t see how you are going to do this.

A better question might be why? As you’ve discovered from an NVR that is Linux based you can’t simply plug the drive in without some fiddling so would your average thief even know of be bothered? Suspect he will see the NVR for the 30-40 he can get for it?