How to ignore section on motion detection

CorporalCuddler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with a tree whose leaves recently came back blowing constantly in view of one of my cameras. The camera, for what it's worth, is a hikvision 2042. I know I set the sensitivity for recording in Blue Iris, but I don't see a place in Blue Iris to mask out areas. I messed with the masking in the Hikvision settings, but it didn't make a difference. How to I block an area from motion detection so Blue Iris won't record movement there?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with a tree whose leaves recently came back blowing constantly in view of one of my cameras. The camera, for what it's worth, is a hikvision 2042. I know I set the sensitivity for recording in Blue Iris, but I don't see a place in Blue Iris to mask out areas. I messed with the masking in the Hikvision settings, but it didn't make a difference. How to I block an area from motion detection so Blue Iris won't record movement there?
The hikvision settings have no affect on blue iris unless you specifically setup to use in camera motion via blue iris (using onvif)..i suggest you read the help file, everything is explained. Rather than mask, you select the zones you want motion detection to occur in.

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In Blueiris/ Camera Properties/Trigger/Motion Sensor/Use Zones and Hot Spots. Edit the zones. Blueiris wants you to highlight the area that you want to monitor for motion detection, not block. So select Zone A then highlight, with green, the area you DO want to monitor for motion detection. The non highlighted area will be blocked from motion detection.

Read the Help file for more information about Zones.

CorporalCuddler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In Blueiris/ Camera Properties/Trigger/Motion Sensor/Use Zones and Hot Spots. Edit the zones. Blueiris wants you to highlight the area that you want to monitor for motion detection, not block. So select Zone A then highlight, with green, the area you DO want to monitor for motion detection. The non highlighted area will be blocked from motion detection.

Thank you, hltljohn! Those are the exact steps. I searched through the help file last night, and I don't know why I didn't get it, maybe I should have read through it again after some sleep. Anyway, I appreciate your help. I'm sure this will help people who end up here in the future too. Thanks for the responses.

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Thanks for taking time to explain and give instructions. I also misunderstood that the highlighted area was the monitored area.