How to install IP camera outdoors on wall

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need to install some IP cameras outside on a wall. Cat5e is already ran to it and a 1 gang box is already cut into the wall (NOT SURFACE MOUNTED) and an analog icrealtime bullet camera is mounted to a faceplate on the 1 gang electrical box.

How do you guys mount a bullet or dome style camera into a setup like that with Ip capabilities and one of those big keystone jacks, such as one of the dahua 1.3 mp domes or a ptz camera?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have two choices, you can make the hole bigger and put the jack inside of the wall. The base of the camera is bigger than the jack, and than silicone around the base. Or, install one of those boxes
and mount the camera onto the plate and of course silicone everything. I realy like the round boxes with the tabs on the outside of the box so you don't have to drill holes inside the box to mount it. You want to avoid water getting into anything at all. Here is an example of mine of the round box I'm talking about.

photo-16.jpg

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We install all our cameras on single gang boxes, not a problem. For example, on the Hikvision 2732, the round plate attaches directly to a single gang box using the same screw pattern, then the dome itself screws to the backing plate with 3 machine screws. The pigtail sits in side the single gang box. For brick mounts, we use the Hikvision matching round box that sticks out about 2 1/2", the pigtail and wires sit inside that. You can also use wall mount brackets for domes. Bullets are tougher if they are mini bullets that won't cover a single gang box. Maybe just put a plate on the j-box with hole for the cable.

acmaster

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to install the acti e77 on an exterior wall. Ideally mounted directly on the brick so that the dome sits right on the wall. Forgive my ignorance but anyone know if any special plate is required first or can you do that right out of the box?

No5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking to install the acti e77 on an exterior wall. Ideally mounted directly on the brick so that the dome sits right on the wall. Forgive my ignorance but anyone know if any special plate is required first or can you do that right out of the box?
I just installed an ACTi E72 at the peak of my garage this past weekend. I used ACTi's wall mount bracket (PMAX-0308).

acmaster

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks.

Is there a way to mount it so the dome is right on the wall versus off the bracket. In some spots its just a cleaner look.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have your Ethernet cable coming out of the wall, you can mount it directly on the wall without a mount.

No5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks.

Is there a way to mount it so the dome is right on the wall versus off the bracket. In some spots its just a cleaner look.
Why not just get longer screws and then use the 3 screw holes located at the bottom of your unit and drill directly into your wall?

acmaster

n3wb
Reaction score
Why not just get longer screws and then use the 3 screw holes located at the bottom of your unit and drill directly into your wall?
Absolutely, I wanted to make sure there wasn't a special mount/plate. Or if there was a mount that perhaps added an extra inch or so of depth. I've not used Acti before but the E77 pricing right now is too good to be true.

I have a challenge on some uneven stone.

No5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Absolutely, I wanted to make sure there wasn't a special mount/plate. Or if there was a mount that perhaps added an extra inch or so of depth. I've not used Acti before but the E77 pricing right now is too good to be true.

I have a challenge on some uneven stone.
Perhaps the gang box converter located on page 81 of the mounting guide:

http://www.acti.com/getfile/KnowledgeBase_UploadFile/Mounting_Accessory_Guide_20100412_001_20110826_002.pdf

You'll need though PMAX-0804 for the E77.