How to install recessed dome only partially recessed in soffit

bluestreak

n3wb
Reaction score
So I bought a Dahua system for my new home from Andy. Got a mix of starlight turrets, mini domes and that "flying saucer" shaped PTZ mini dome. For the last camera, I deciede to splurge on the very nice looking 25x recessed PTZ dome (SD52C225U-HNI), but I did not realize how big it was! So now there are a couple of installation complications... lol...

First of all the soffit and eave area is fairly small (see an old pic of the soffit area from a previous posthere). My camera installer mentioned that heat would be concern with such a large camera in a small area. Secondly, there are rain gutters than extend down by about 1½ inches. If the dome was mounted flush with soffit, the rain gutters would partially block the view. (This has been a minor problem with the other cameras that were installed. Its not so much a blocked view, but a bit of IR light reflects off the gutter back into the camera).

So the solution would be to install the camera only partially recessed. That way there's more space in the roof eave for cooling the camera and the camera sits lower so that the rain gutters don't get in the way of its view. Has anyone done this or have ideas on how I can go about it?

One particular concern for me is how to hide the camera body that is normally hidden in the roof/ceiling. I had though that I can get someone to 3D print a cylinder shaped piece that would slip onto the body of the camera to cover exposed part of the camera, but I'm thinking that might be an overly expensive solution to solve a mostly aesthetic problem.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Depending on the actual diameter you need, PVC drainage pipe might be an economical solution. The big trick there is a flange to mount the pipe with.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
And if cooling is a serious concern, wouldn't putting more of the camera inside of a small tube be even worse than having it extend up into the soffit space?

Maybe I'm not understanding the cooling issue.

You could also build or buy a box large enough to extend the camera down a bit, too.

Reaction score
Just list of ideas, I don't do installs so you are bound to get better ones.

1. If you just need to drop it a couple inches or less could you just sandwich a couple wood donuts that are cut to give clearances and use longer mounting bolts to go all the way thru to attic? Looks like OD is 7.80 and ID is 7.00 (maybe a little smaller for tighter fit if you can make little knockouts for the bolts). Then weatherseal/paint?
  2. possibly a special-order 7 inch ID PVC, with two flanges (possibly also custom or special order)
  3. Maybe galvanized metal duct, not sure how you would work out the end connections

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe i'm missing something, but why can't it be mounted in the space I have marked. Appears to be plenty of head room.
Use a couple of donuts cut out of wood to drop the cam the amount you need to clear the gutters.
Paint to match the soffit.

Sofit IP cam box.jpg

Reaction score
I am using a similar concept of clearing the gutters/soffit edge by utilizing a junction box for my turret cams so seems like the donuts cut out of wood might be a quick solution for this style of camera.

Only thing I would think could be a potential problem is if whatever solution you utilize does not keep water out of the area that is normally inside of the soffit. Where I am at we get rain and wind that blow parallel to the ground so just want to try and keep water out from sensitive areas of the camera so perhaps some kind of sealant between the wood doughnut layers so water will not leak in.

Regardless, I am Interested in what you ultimately decide to do and would like to see some photos of the finished product.

bluestreak

n3wb
Reaction score
And if cooling is a serious concern, wouldn't putting more of the camera inside of a small tube be even worse than having it extend up into the soffit space?

Maybe I'm not understanding the cooling issue.

You could also build or buy a box large enough to extend the camera down a bit, too.
Hrmm.. I had thought that having more empty soffit/eave space above the camera would help with the cooling but you do bring up an interesting point. Covering the sides it in a another layer of thick plastic maybe detrimental to cooling... though I don't really know.

Just list of ideas, I don't do installs so you are bound to get better ones.
  1. If you just need to drop it a couple inches or less could you just sandwich a couple wood donuts that are cut to give clearances and use longer mounting bolts to go all the way thru to attic? Looks like OD is 7.80 and ID is 7.00 (maybe a little smaller for tighter fit if you can make little knockouts for the bolts). Then weatherseal/paint?
  2. possibly a special-order 7 inch ID PVC, with two flanges (possibly also custom or special order)
  3. Maybe galvanized metal duct, not sure how you would work out the end connections
Where could I be able to special order 7" (actually 8" seems to be more appropriate) PVC? Another person suggested PVC and my first thought was "I don't think I'll be able to find this at home depot..." lol...

Maybe i'm missing something, but why can't it be mounted in the space I have marked. Appears to be plenty of head room.
Use a couple of donuts cut out of wood to drop the cam the amount you need to clear the gutters.
Paint to match the soffit.
It not that there's no enough room to mount it fully recessed. The need to lower it comes from wanting to provide more room above for ventilation and for the camera to clear the rain gutters hanging over the edge.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Any decent plumbing supply will have 8" PVC DWV pipe in schedule 40 which should be more than enough to handle a camera. I have to admit I like Looney's idea of a wood donut or two assuming you have either a router or a saber saw.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
interesting thread. Question though.....won't looney's idea not work? I see OP's post as a before and after. I could be mistaken but doesn't looney's suggestion show the camera behind the triple 2x12 girder and 6x6 post?

I wonder if you can use a standard 7 or 8" recessed lighting for new construction and drop the can down as far as you need. Then you can caulk your regular soffit material to cover the box down to the camera on all sides and them back up to where the soffit lies now.