How to keep spiders from building webs over my outdoor wall mounted cam?

hepcat72

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed both a security camera and a pair of flood lights fairly close together. Yes, it was a bad idea, but it would be very difficult to change at this point. It's a POE cam and the wall I accessed it from during a remodel is nearly finished.

Does anyone know any tricks to keep spiders from building webs in front of the camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I spray around mine periodically with insect repeller/killer. The kind of stuff you buy to spray around a home.

Reaction score
I installed both a security camera and a pair of flood lights fairly close together. Yes, it was a bad idea, but it would be very difficult to change at this point. It's a POE cam and the wall I accessed it from during a remodel is nearly finished.

Does anyone know any tricks to keep spiders from building webs in front of the camera?
Cypermethrin as found in the Demon insecticide packets and applied via a pump sprayer works great. Just don’t spray the lens of the camera so it doesn’t get cloudy.

hepcat72

n3wb
Reaction score
Cypermethrin as found in the Demon insecticide packets and applied via a pump sprayer works great. Just don’t spray the lens of the camera so it doesn’t get cloudy.
How often do you have to apply it, because I have to access it via extension ladder. :(

and can I spray it on the flood lights too or will it damage them,

Reaction score
How often do you have to apply it, because I have to access it via extension ladder. :(

and can I spray it on the flood lights too or will it damage them,
Depends on the environment and weather exposure but it seems to work well around my house for several months. Should be fine around the fixtures just don’t spray water in the fixture and wear PPE when spraying.