How to know if your security cam system is secure enough?

Reaction score
Is there a way to find out if your security cam system is secure? Any pointers on what to look for?
I have Openvpn installed on my router which works well but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I start installing cameras inside the house.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to find out if your security cam system is secure? Any pointers on what to look for?
I have Openvpn installed on my router which works well but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I start installing cameras inside the house.
Hi Greenmarcus,

1) You can only test for insecure.

2) Also, if your system will be connected to the internet it will be at risk.

You can use firewall rules to help isolate your system, as well as a managed switch.

Remember threats also include virii and malware from your other systems attached to the LAN - so keep your other systems updated with patches and with Anti-Virus SW and updated.

Also patch your NVR to the latest, change default passwords,...

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Disable UPnP in the router to prevent your cameras from exposing themselves.

Don't forward ports (except forwarding to an internal VPN server, which is unnecessary if your router is your VPN server).

Do those things and your cameras shouldn't be a weak point in your network security.

If paranoid, prevent your cameras from having internet access. Some routers have the option to block internet access for certain local IP addresses, otherwise you need a somewhat more complicated network setup so the cameras physically can't reach the internet, but the NVR still can.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Disable UPnP in the router to prevent your cameras from exposing themselves.

If paranoid, prevent your cameras from having internet access. Some routers have the option to block internet access for certain local IP addresses, otherwise you need a somewhat more complicated network setup so the cameras physically can't reach the internet, but the NVR still can.
I usually kill the gateway and DNS entries in the cams too just to be sure that they can't get out on their own if something changes on the router, etc. Lots of them beacon out even after you turn everything off. Also saves you from a ton of crap that's trying every 10 seconds to have to filter through in your logs. Can plug with nonsense if the entries require some value. Also kill UPnP, P2P, etc. in the cam.