How to mount cameras where soffits / eaves don't exist?

Reaction score
Hello IPcamtalk

Looking to tackle a POE camera install within the next few months and am currently in the planning stages.

The house I plan on wiring up has a few areas that I'm not quite sure how to tackle.
On almost all the how-to videos I've come across, the installer is able to go through the attic and reach all 4 corners of the house and unfortunately this won't work for me.

The house is 3 stories tall and the eaves are way too high for effective camera placement.
What is my best bet in this situation? There are 2 corners of the house where I would like to place cameras but have no overhang.
I thought about contacting a low voltage guy but I feel like the only way to do this properly is to tear into the interior walls.

Any tips / advice for my situation? I know they make brackets that allow you to mount cameras but I'm trying to keep it looking somewhat reasonable :)

Thank you

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
More information Scotty!

What kind of construction? What kind of siding? How is it finished? Maybe a few cell phone photos would help here.

Reaction score
More information Scotty!

What kind of construction? What kind of siding? How is it finished? Maybe a few cell phone photos would help here.
Apologies. Its mainly cement fiberboard siding. I can access the front of the house with no issue as there are soffits that pop right into the garage. Its the rear that I have questions about.
Grabbed a stock photo to show what I'm talking about. The right side of the house is similar to what my back side is like. No soffits that are low enough to mount to, just siding butted together to form a 90*

Thanks for chiming in so promptly!

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Again, not enough detail but I'll offer some advice. You can come down from the soffits to get the cameras low enough. The cable can be behind the corner moldings if you can access behind it or be "hidden" by securing directly to it. You can also come down using downspouts by attaching the cable to the downspouts, "behind" (out of direct view).

Reaction score
Thank you, I will try to get some actual photos later this evening. Looks like I am going to be needing a very tall ladder lol.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Apologies. Its mainly cement fiberboard siding. I can access the front of the house with no issue as there are soffits that pop right into the garage. Its the rear that I have questions about.
Grabbed a stock photo to show what I'm talking about. The right side of the house is similar to what my back side is like. No soffits that are low enough to mount to, just siding butted together to form a 90*

Thanks for chiming in so promptly!
Hi @domoarigato

I probably would start with the garage as a place to get my cameras up to cover the front of the home ..

Reaction score
cam.JPG

Heres a better photo of the area in question. The front of the house I think I got figured out, but the rear has no soffits or eaves that are low enough.
Same goes for the other corner as well.

Would a dome camera on the siding in this case be the choice since I cant use the conventional top mount cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you get the cable behind the siding?

Keep in mind except for the PTZ you can mount other cameras in any direction.

Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than a turret or bullet and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event, the camera is basically blind...

1666102077898.png

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

Reaction score
Can you get the cable behind the siding?

Keep in mind except for the PTZ you can mount other cameras in any direction.

Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than a turret or bullet and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event, the camera is basically blind...

View attachment 143026

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.
Thanks for the dome info!

At the current time it seems like my two options are

1. Mount to the siding and run cables under the siding to the front and punch into the garage
2. Go to the attic and drop down an ethernet cable from there

Both seem less than ideal but without tearing the drywall apart indoors I dont see any easier way of doing this :(

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any ethernet ports on an exterior wall that you could punch out thru that?

Reaction score
Are there any ethernet ports on an exterior wall that you could punch out thru that?
None that are easily accessible.
I guess I could punch out from the inside of the house but then I still have to deal with running the ethernet cables indoors and having them join cleanly in a central location.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you would use something like this:

But what is the make and model # of your camera, so we can find the correct outdoor wall mount for the camera?