How to optimize Blue Iris for Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW 4k recording

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great guidance. I'll got make some tweaks to storage. Can you tell me the thinking behind putting new on my 1TB HDD vs keeping it on the fast access SSD that I have BI and Windows on? I would think I would want to have those more recent files on faster access storage. I guess that's not the case?
Based on 100's of actual use case's documented on this site.
For one, the SSD is not designed for continuous writes, and it takes resources to move the file from the SSD to the spinner, which happens rather frequently.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I lean to a write once philosophy. I am not an expert on SSD life span, but doing a large number of continuous writes just does not seem like a good idea. The BI system does not really do a high number of reads of the video files.

gawainxx

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you still running into this issue, I'm facing the same problem if I allow my Amcrest 4K camera to use a resolution above 1080P.

P.S.
You do NOT want to record directly to a SSD nor use one as a cache drive for you BI Storage, this will drastically reduce the lifespan of a SSD because they have a limited number of writes and BI writes a LOT of data.\
If you need extreme performace you could look at something like a ram storage device with a battery backup. I wouldn't even consider something like that outside of a major enterprise use case though.