How to record PCNVR with new hikvision cameras

User019

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
since about 3 years I had PCNVR4200 as recorder and that has worked at windows XP without problems.

Since there are "new cameras/software" this recorder is not able to record signal from this cameras (even they are visible in pcnvr)

I used to install new software, but it doenst record at all.

Im in trouble. Do you have any idea which softwara can I use at windows to record video from all (new and old hik) cameras?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could try the free demo version of Blue Iris to see if it works for you. The minimum requirements are listed on the download page, here.
Just be aware that meeting just the minimum requirements is not going to give you optimum performance and cannot allow a fair assessment of the software's value and ability.

If the software appeals to you and works for you, please consider replacing your 16 year old PC with one that meets these specs and purchase a Full copy of Blue Iris here.

You can obtain lots of good advice from a large community of Blue Iris users here.

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
since about 3 years I had PCNVR4200 as recorder and that has worked at windows XP without problems.

Since there are "new cameras/software" this recorder is not able to record signal from this cameras (even they are visible in pcnvr)

I used to install new software, but it doenst record at all.

Im in trouble. Do you have any idea which softwara can I use at windows to record video from all (new and old hik) cameras?
Let me save you countless hours of wasted time by sharing my findings after being in exactly the same situation.

Was using PCNVR4200 very happily for several years in spite of it no longer being supported.

I added an 8MP 2CD2385FWD-I to my setup and found that the only way to get it record and display was to limit the video stream bitrate to 4096. Any higher and PCVNR4200 won't display or record the stream. Add to that, H.265 is not supported so you are limited to H.264 encoding.

The problem with 4096 bit rate for streaming was that there was a lot of artifacts and pixilation on fast moving objects and without H.265 encoding, a huge amount of storage was needed.

I tried the following apps.

1. BlueIris - I didn't like it (everyone has different experiences...Yes, I know Fenderman will chime in at this point....).

2. Milestone Xprotect - Initially, I didn't like it but over a short period of time I came to understand its interface and found it very easy to use. Really liked the remote Web Interface. Only problem was that it needed up to date PC hardware and recent Nvidia graphics card to support H.265 steams. The cost of building even a basic PC with the necessary specs was going to be in the $400-$500 range.

3. Hikvision - HikCentral - Found out that it is only management software and has no recording function.

After weighing up the pros and cons I ended up settling on a Hikvision NVR. From Ebay a 7608NI-I2/8P was only AU$350.

The NVR just works, supports all current Hikvision cameras. Is well supported by Hikvision and is relatively trouble free. Supports H.265+, H.264 and third party IP cams. Does on the fly transcoding for remote playback.

If you want free, I'd suggest Milestone Xprotect +. If you already have a properly spec'd PC it would be my choice.

If you need to spend money on hardware to upgrade or build a PC, then go for a dedicated Hikvision NVR.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me save you countless hours of wasted time by sharing my findings after being in exactly the same situation.

Was using PCNVR4200 very happily for several years in spite of it no longer being supported.

I added an 8MP 2CD2385FWD-I to my setup and found that the only way to get it record and display was to limit the video stream bitrate to 4096. Any higher and PCVNR4200 won't display or record the stream. Add to that, H.265 is not supported so you are limited to H.264 encoding.

The problem with 4096 bit rate for streaming was that there was a lot of artifacts and pixilation on fast moving objects and without H.265 encoding, a huge amount of storage was needed.

I tried the following free apps.

1. BlueIris - I didn't like it (everyone has different experiences).

2. Milestone Xprotect - Initially, I didn't like it but over a short period of time I came to understand its interface and found it very easy to use. Really liked the remote Web Interface. Only problem was that it needed up to date PC hardware and recent Nvidia graphics card to support H.265 steams. The cost of building even a basic PC with the necessary specs was going to be in the $400-$500 range.

3. Hikvision - HikCentral - Found out that it is only management software and has no recording function.

After weighing up the pros and cons I ended up settling on a Hikvision NVR. From Ebay a 7608NI-I2/8P was only AU$350.

The NVR just works, supports all current Hikvision cameras. Is well supported by Hikvision and is relatively trouble free. Supports H.265+, H.264 and third party IP cams. Does on the fly transcoding for remote playback.

If you want free, I'd suggest Milestone Xprotect +. If you already have a properly spec'd PC it would be my choice.

If you need to spend money on hardware to upgrade or build a PC, then go for a dedicated Hikvision NVR.
Hikvision NVR is laughable compared to blue iris and even basic free milestone...what a pain in the ass to review video via mobile or even the web interface, try to disable alerts when you get home for specific cams, good luck and on and on..the NVR is ok for basic 24/7 recording and review only once in a while...you likely didnt properly setup blue iris or for that matter milestone.

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision NVR is laughable compared to blue iris and even basic free milestone...what a pain in the ass to review video via mobile or even the web interface, try to disable alerts when you get home for specific cams, good luck and on and on..the NVR is ok for basic 24/7 recording and review only once in a while...you likely didnt properly setup blue iris or for that matter milestone.

I've tried BlueIris a number of times over the years going back as far as 10 years ago. Every time I've tried the latest version, I've ended up in-installing. I just don't like it and probably never will. It's just the way its is.

I'm happy with my Hikvision NVR and consider it very good value for money.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried BlueIris a number of times over the years going back as far as 10 years ago. Every time I've tried the latest version, I've ended up in-installing. I just don't like it and probably never will. It's just the way its is.

I'm happy with my Hikvision NVR and consider it very good value for money.
im sure you did...I dont need you to like it...I am just pointing out that you dont know what you are doing are talking about...lets play this game. When was the last time you tried blue iris? why did you not like it?
all standalone NVR's are utter crap...its not a good value either...its a bare bones unit suited for only very basic 24/7 recording with little review, and even then, a terrible choice. I would not wish these NVR's on my worst enemies.

Last edited:

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
im sure you did...I dont need you to like it...I am just pointing out that you dont know what you are doing are talking about...lets play this game. When was the last time you tried blue iris? why did you not like it?
all standalone NVR's are utter crap...its not a good value either...its a bare bones unit suited for only very basic 24/7 recording with little review, and even then, a terrible choice. I would not wish these NVR's on my worst enemies.
I am fully prepared to give BlueIris another chance. All I need is for you is to supply a full BlueIris license. I want to test the fully functional software, not some crippled product.

I have a spare computer with ample specs to run BlueIris. I will run BlueIris in parallel with my Hikvision NVR and will do a side by side assessment.

At the end of my testing and evaluation phase I will post a genuine comparative review of BlueIris vs Hikvision NVR. If at the end of the day I think BlueIris is better than any of the alternative solutions I proposed above, I will dump my NVR and buy my own license.

Just PM the license file and I'll take care of the rest.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am fully prepared to give BlueIris another chance. All I need is for you is to supply a full BlueIris license. I want to test the fully functional software, not some crippled product.

I have a spare computer with ample specs to run BlueIris. I will run BlueIris in parallel with my Hikvision NVR and will do a side by side assessment.

At the end of my testing and evaluation phase I will post a genuine comparative review of BlueIris vs Hikvision NVR. If at the end of the day I think BlueIris is better than any of the alternative solutions I proposed above, I will dump my NVR and buy my own license.

Just PM the license file and I'll take care of the rest.
I thought you TESTED it. hmmmm interesting..if you did you could answer the questions posed.
Why would I pay you 60 dollars to test blue iris? How would that benefit me? I am not the developer. Did hikvision send you a free NVR to test? FYI the demo only lacks the ability to record direct to disc (though that limitation appears to have been removed - at least with respect to the water mark - it is no longer on the recorded footage for d2d) though I have not tested the cpu impact. Regardless, you can test all other FUNCTIONS of the software of which it has many. The app will cost you 10 bux, i know that is a lot for you. You can test the functionality in demo mode.
There are thousands of blue iris users here who use blue iris and for good reason. Most have come to BI have frustration with NVR's. I dont care about your review..i dont need you to use blue iris. I am providing info for others who can afford the 60 dollar investment. Save your money for clothes.

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a ton of old capable computers and GPU's from mining.

Can Blue Iris trigger PTZ location pre-sets based on alarms from other cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a ton of old capable computers and GPU's from mining.

Can Blue Iris trigger PTZ location pre-sets based on alarms from other cameras?
yes...you dont want to use old powerhogs or discrete graphics...intel 3rd generation and above with quicksync for hardware acceleration....see wiki

User019

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My PC is C2D E8200 with 2gb ram and has about 9 years. It is very good, because is green (low energy consumption, silent pipe). I didnt had problems with performance, so I would no buy a new one.

I would prefare free software. PCNVR4200 was enough good and free of charge. 10-20$ will be aaceptable, but not 60$

regards
Adam

User019

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thats right, XP is an old one OS, but it works, still have patches. It works for me as PCNVR. It is not an internet server, just LAN recorder

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My PC is C2D E8200 with 2gb ram and has about 9 years. It is very good, because is green (low energy consumption, silent pipe). I didnt had problems with performance, so I would no buy a new one.

I would prefare free software. PCNVR4200 was enough good and free of charge. 10-20$ will be aaceptable, but not 60$

regards
Adam
That's what I loved about PCNVR4200 was that it used almost no CPU cycles when used as an NVR only (without local playback). The remote client would do all the heavy lifting when it came to playback, searching etc.

PCNVR4200 also has direct-to-disk recording which is one of the features that some other products try to claim as a major defining benefit.

If you want FREE and if your needs are relatively simple, I suggest you use iVMS4200 as your server. It is actually designed primarily as the client software to Hikvision NVRs but will also work well as a server (with local storage server option installed) and will support h.265 playback and recording and features of the latest Hikvision cams.

The only downside of using iVMS4200 as your NVR is that you will lose remote viewing functionality with the iVMS4500 mobile app. iVMS4200 does not natively support any remote viewing capability. If you want remote viewing, you will need to use a remote desktop client.

If you access your PC directly, you wont have any problems doing everything you currently do with PCNVR4200 but will get access to the latest cam hardware support.

I've never tried installing iVMS4200 on WindowsXP. Suggest upgrading the OS to Windows 7 at the very least.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I loved about PCNVR4200 was that it used almost no CPU cycles when used as an NVR only (without local playback). The remote client would do all the heavy lifting when it came to playback, searching etc.

PCNVR4200 also has direct-to-disk recording which is one of the features that some other products try to claim as a major defining benefit.

If you want FREE and if your needs are relatively simple, I suggest you use iVMS4200 as your server. It is actually designed primarily as the client software to Hikvision NVRs but will also work well as a server (with local storage server option installed) and will support h.265 playback and recording and features of the latest Hikvision cams.

The only downside of using iVMS4200 as your NVR is that you will lose remote viewing functionality with the iVMS4500 mobile app. iVMS4200 does not natively support any remote viewing capability. If you want remote viewing, you will need to use a remote desktop client.

If you access your PC directly, you wont have any problems doing everything you currently do with PCNVR4200 but will get access to the latest cam hardware support.

I've never tried installing iVMS4200 on WindowsXP. Suggest upgrading the OS to Windows 7 at the very least.
Blue iris can also do this using a feature called limit decoding (something you are not aware of and never tested)...dont forget the hikvision stuff locks you into hikvision cameras unless you also use an nvr.

User019

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont need remote view through mobile application - it would be very risky to expose nvr to internet. I have remote view using own solution which works in my opinion better - im able to download online jpgs from all cameras through mobile browser and quite safe server.

According to subject question there is solution: I downloaded PCNVR4200 V1.03.06.02, changed bitrate at camera as venturis adviced and now all is recording using old good pcnvr. Thank you for help!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As long as you're happy...........I'm happy for you.
Don't be a stranger and wait 9 years before you stop by again! :cool: