How to remotely turn NVR off AND on?

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a DS-7608NI-I2/8P locked in a rack unit away under the house in a nice cool and clean spot which is a pain to get to.

I have a need to be able to remotely (other side of the house) turn the DS-7608NI-I2/8P off AND on.

Turning it off remotely is easily done via the iVMS-4200 software client, but how about turning it back ON again without having to go under the house and manually turning it on?

Has anyone tried one of those IR extenders with a NVR?

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't used in 13 years but for 20 years from '84 to '04 they worked great and were dependable. They plug in and transmit over the house wiring.

X10 Powerhouse AM466 Appliance Module for $19 ==>> here <<==.

AM466.jpg

X10 Powerhouse HR12A PalmPad remote Control for $15 ==>> here <<==.
rem_control_.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's so many ways these days to handle your request, it boils down to how you want to interface and have usuability with: Wi-Fi, Alexa, Echo, power line, smartphone and/or tablet. I can only imagine what my former house in the Silicon Valley from 1976 to 2004 would have had running in it had these devices existed back in the 80's and 90's! The sky (and your wallet) is the limit now.

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
G'day all,

Thanks for all your replies, it looks like the IR extender will be the go'er.

The reason I'd like to turn it off and on remotely is because the wired network causes interference to some of the HAM bands (Amateur Radio), so the easiest thing to do is just turn it off when I need to, then back on when I'm not using the radio.

I'll further investigate dropping the IP Cam to NVR rates down to 10Mbps from 100Mbps and see if it effects the performance at all (see if 10Mbps is fast enough for each cam at 3072 bitrate). Generally, I've found that the lower the network speed the less interference it causes. Then I'll look at placing ferrites at the IP cams and NVR.

The rest of my network is wireless to reduce the noise in the HAM bands, so it's just the NVR/IP Cams at this stage.

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
G'day all,
The reason I'd like to turn it off and on remotely is because the wired network causes interference to some of the HAM bands (Amateur Radio), so the easiest thing to do is just turn it off when I need to, then back on when I'm not using the radio.
Do you think shielded CAT-5e or 6 cable, with the shield properly grounded, would help with the "...interference to some of the HAM bands" ?

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Tony,

It could help, and it's something I might look at doing later on.