How to remove moisture from camera

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My old ip camera DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZHS which has been fantastic over the years since 2017, but could not cope with weeks of bad weather in November and December last year. It got moisture inside. Because it is so old, I have bought a new camera, but I hope I can repair/dry it out myself. Professional help is too expensive.

I have found a couple of YouTube videos that explain relatively well what I have to do. Especially the first one applies to a camera similar to mine. The second video is missing part 2 (deleted?) , but gives good help.

I have three questions:
1) Is it glue or vaseline that is applied and smoothed with a screwdriver in the first video?
2) Can I reuse the bag of drying material?
3) Both my old and new camera have a thin 15 mm opening at the bottom of the front. Is it so that any water can drain out, or can I close it (as there is a lot of rain right at the camera)?

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could try baking it in a food dehydrator at 135°F for a couple of days. I resurrected a waterproof tactical flashlight that was not exactly waterproof using this method.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for proposal, but I need to open it and make it safe for more moisture in the future. I can add that since December it has been better and better due to sunny dry weather, but some days ago due to a heavy rainstorm it got a lot of moisture again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well the first thing you do is dry it out as recommended. Then you replace the silica pack and then take clear silicone sealant and go around every potential opening.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well the first thing you do is dry it out as recommended. Then you replace the silica pack and then take clear silicone sealant and go around every potential opening.
OK, Thanks. Not vaseline, but silicone is the answer of question 1. And reuse of the bag - question 2.
I also read your answer to tighten every opening - also that I mention.

Thanks again.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi wittaj,
Looking again on your answer, I might have missunderstood as my english is not so good. Does "replace the silica pack " that I must buy a new one or just use the old one?

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi wittaj,
Looking again on your answer, I might have missunderstood as my english is not so good. Does "replace the silica pack " that I must buy a new one or just use the old one?
You can rejuvenate the silica pack by baking it in a dehydrator at 135°F for a few hours or in a toaster oven at the lowest setting.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera should be waterproof as it is IP67 which is the best I can find, but heavy rain against it was to much.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
IP67 is right, but after years using the seal ring is going old, and it still have moisture can go inside, try to change the dry silicon bag and use a drier to dry the camera(Open housing.)

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, EMPIRETECANDY.
I both dread and look forward to that job.

ralphmouth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased some silica packets from Amazon and depending on camera mount/design, tape (Scotch tape) the packet(s) behind the lens or in the mount housing. As far as a lubricate, use only one that will not break down (temp wise) such as a silicone product (not petroleum base). Also, after cleaning lens I follow up with a 91% isopropyl wipe and then immediately reassemble.