How to Reset passwords for Hikvision Cameras

mjj4golf

n3wb
Reaction score
We have 16 Hikvision cameras connected to a DS-7716 NVR(POE). The NVR had to be replaced but the pw's are not known. If I connect them one at a time to another switch, SADP can be used to get the xml file, send it to HIKVision for them to create a new xml file, and finally use SADP again to reset the pw. This is time consuming. Is there a way to connect a laptop to the nvr and sownload the xml files from there.
Thanks
Mike

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would try to default all the cameras and reconfigure them.

Or you could set the laptop to the internal range of the nvr and use a port of the nvr to connect to all the cameras (less the one that uses the port which you connect the laptop).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to connect a laptop to the nvr and sownload the xml files from there.
Connect a laptop to an unused NVR PoE port.
SADP will find all the cameras.
Change the PC IP address to be in the same range as the cameras, usually 192.168.254.x
Double click the IP address for each camera in the SADP status screen.

mjj4golf

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I connected the laptop to the NVR and was able to see 7 out of 16 cameras. The other 9 say Öffline(IP Camera not available). There is a in unit lan adress(192.168.254.x) on the nine cameras. I checked to make sure the Poe was enabled for those and they were. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Mike

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I connected the laptop to the NVR and was able to see 7 out of 16 cameras.
To the LAN that the NVR LAN port is connected to?
Or to one of the NVR PoE ports?
With SADP or with Live View on the NVR web GUI?
Presumably on the LAN with the NVR web GUI, or you would see all 16 (15 if the PC is using one port) with SADP on an NVR PoE port.

Connect a laptop to an unused NVR PoE port.
SADP will find all the cameras.
Change the PC IP address to be in the same range as the cameras, usually 192.168.254.x
Double click the IP address for each camera in the SADP status screen.
Did you try this?
Double-clicking the IP address shown by SADP launches the default browser, which will bring up the camera login page.
At this you can test the admin password, confirm if it's using the old NVR password.

Also - check what firmware version SADP shows for the cameras.
If it's 5.4.0 or earlier, the camera password can be extracted using a firmware security vulnerability.

mjj4golf

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I did it as you said in the previous update. Double clicking on the address brings a 'Can't find page error' in the browser as opposed to the ones with the Online status.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Double clicking on the address brings a 'Can't find page error' in the browser as opposed to the ones with the Online status.
So SADP is showing the non-online cameras?
What IP addresses do they show as?
It sounds like they are configured to use a different IP address range than that which the NVR PoE ports use.
If so - that's the cause of why they are 'offline'.

If the old NVR password works OK for the 'offilne' cameras, you can use it in SADP to change the IP address of each offline camera to match the IP address that's configured in the NVR PoE channel that the camera is connected in to.

Can you post a screenshot of the SADP window?

mjj4golf

n3wb
Reaction score
It sounds like they are configured to use a different IP address range than that which the NVR PoE ports use.

If the old NVR password works OK for the 'offilne' cameras, you can use it in SADP to change the IP address of each offline camera to match the IP address that's configured in the NVR PoE channel that the camera is connected in to.

Ok, I attached two files: SADP Screen shows only the cameras that SADP sees but there are eight or nine other cameras not shown. The NVR config.. is included to show all the cameras are supposed to be online. There is one camera that is showing 'Abnormal Network' and the others giving trouble are the ones showing "IP Cam not availble'. I checked to make sure the Poe was enabled for those. I can change the pw for the ones asking for the user and pw but because the other ones are not available. I'm almost thinking a problem with the cameras or a wiring problem. Any thought again would be appreciated.

Attachments