How to set up and connect to a camera from neihbors home

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Linking one's network wirelessly to a remote IP camera seems to be a recurring task lately. A sticky in order? IMHO, here's a recent thread with some good info here --> Networking a 1000' gap

Regarding the TP-LINK mentioned by @molimelight, I've installed about a half dozen Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridges over the past 3 or 4 years and all have performed very well. I'm a big fan of UBNT.

In the case of TP-LINK, I've installed 30+ TP-LINK products (switches, PC wireless cards, indoor wireless routers, DSL modem/routers and a couple of outdoor high power AP's) and all have performed well and have been a good value. My only complaint with TP-LINK's early outdoor AP (the WA5210G) is the same as the Engenius units around the same time: the passive POE injector was this beige, clunky looking device where you plugged in a wall-wart type power supply.

This newer TP-LINK that you pointed out has my attention for several reasons: the price for a 2.4 GHz, 500mw unit is about $30 less than a similar UBNT Nanostation M2, it has a TDMA protocol available (PharOS?) likely similar to UBNT's AirMax, has a UBNT-like passive POE injector and like UBNT's Nanostation M2 (NSM2-US), it has a second LAN port to network a remote cam, possibly negating the need and expense of a switch. And lastly, it appears it will mount much like a UBNT. I've been making cheap PVC mounts as seen in the image below.

That being said, it's just not enough to make me want to switch from UBNT, as I am familiar with UBNT's web GUI, how to configure, etc, and I have confidence in them; all worth that $30. One service call during the warranty period will negate that savings...twofold. Now if someone is a first-time builder of a wireless bridge or single high power, directional AP to blast out onto the patio, it very well could meet their needs. I don't hang my hat just on amazon reviews but I do pay attention: there has to be a reason why TP-LINK has almost 4 times as many 1 and 2 star reviews (22% for TP-LINK and 6% for UBNT). I am aware also that too many reviewers give 1 or 2 stars because they expect to plug them in and they will work like magic; they don't have the knowledge to configure them, let alone a simple network and they ding the product for their own ineptitude. I will continue, however, to buy and use TP-LINK switches, DSL modem/routers and PC wireless cards.

UBNT_Vertical-Wall-Mount_med.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

molimelight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This newer TP-LINK that you pointed out has my attention for several reasons: the price for a 2.4 GHz, 500mw unit is about $30 less than a similar UBNT Nanostation M2, it has a TDMA protocol available (PharOS?) likely similar to UBNT's AirMax, has a UBNT-like passive POE injector and like UBNT's Nanostation M2 (NSM2-US), it has a second LAN port to network a remote cam, possibly negating the need and expense of a switch. And lastly, it appears it will mount much like a UBNT. I've been making cheap PVC mounts as seen in the image below. That being said, it's just not enough to make me want to switch from UBNT, as I am familiar with UBNT's web GUI, how to configure, etc, and I have confidence in them; all worth that $30.
Nice review and comparison and brilliant mounting setup! You could even drill holes and run screws through the elbow into the PVC to lock in direction if you don't want to glue them. I think these TP-Link units are nice for the average do it yourself consumer, especially considering the price. I have some knowledge about computers and networking but I have to admit, networking stuff has always been my weak spot. I tend to think it's like chess; some people are capable of grasping it and being good at it, while others, not so much. Even so, I found the setup and operation of the TP-Link units very easy if one has some knowledge of networks, etc. After reading some of the negative reviews I tend to think they are much like you said, people who really shouldn't even be attempting to set something like this up. Some were even using them in ways they weren't intended to be used and then they give two stars! If you ever get to use them I think you'll find the PharOS web GUI really nice, with a lot of options for setup and monitoring, including Dynamic DNS and remote log in. Here's how I have mine mounted. This is the one that's on the shop. I know I was hanging on to those old satellite dish mounting arms for a reason! :D

WP_20170820_17_02_59_Pro-sm.jpg