How to setup a Dahua IP camera without NVR

Stavros99

n3wb
Reaction score
This instruction list is hard earned, I am a novice user and loose 5 f* hours every time I try install a Dahua camera. Chinese cameras are good but the support and instructions online are totally S** including in the Dahua wiki which leaves so much out, beyond frustrating, many times I wish I had not taken this path and I bet Hikvision is no different. At the time of writing this this instruction list covers each step, if you find something missing please reply.

I use the following models: (used to use wireless but all are wired now)
dh-ipc-HDBW1320EP-W
SD22204T-GN-W (zoom)
N41BL12-W
HDBW2831EP-S-S2

Dahua IP Camera Setup
(No NVR, I use Imou phone app and SD cards in cams to record with cameras wired to my network)

1. Download the Dahua config tool
  2. Connect camera to pc via Ethernet cable and initialise (sometimes different browsers work like chrome or edge but if they don’t try pale moon)
  3. Once you initialise in configtool and set password, ensure you change the password in “search setting” of config tool top right also. (Some cameras auto initialise when you try logging in through browser, some you need to in configtool)
  4. Change ip to same as your network log it is not (e.g. ursuslly comes as a xxx.xxx.1.xxx when local network is xxx.xxx.5.xxx) using “edit” in the configuration tool (see notes on changing below if this process does not work)
  5. Disconnect from pc and connect back to network
  6. To connect the camera to the Imou life iPhone app Enable P2P in the browser, in network. (Each model can be different, may be under network>access platform>p2p) (in older 1320E models it’s under tcp/ip>easy4ip)

(If you can not connect to the camera sometimes the computer ip may need to be changed to what the camera ip comes with, to be able to connect to the camera to change its ip to what matches your network.
Last time I was able to connect and change the ip without doing this so unsure if this can still be necessary.
Put same gateway but change subnet and IP when direct connected to camera turn change the oc back after or it will not connect to your network)

To change ip see wiki,
DahuaWiki
If you change 3rd digit of the IP also change the 3rd figure of the gateway
Gateway and subnet numbers are under “details” in toolbox

(For wifi connection) Enable WiFi in the browser view under network/tcp/ip/rasy4ip

Last edited:

Stavros99

n3wb
Reaction score
7. Disable P2P, use DMSS, add with IP, figure out how to use OpenVPN
Otherwise sounds like you’re starting to figure it out. They can be quite frustrating at times
Thanks for getting back, just wondering why you suggest this, I assume a better way of going about this I just don’t know why?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back, just wondering why you suggest this, I assume a better way of going about this I just don’t know why?
Because P2P can open you up to being hacked.

Most of us don't use the Config tool either.

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1693519003560.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home or for something to get screwed up.

Reaction score
P2P creates a lot of unnecessary network traffic and open ports. I would recommend studying up on OpenVPN to figure out how to implement it into your network

Stavros99

n3wb
Reaction score
P2P creates a lot of unnecessary network traffic and open ports. I would recommend studying up on OpenVPN to figure out how to implement it into your network
Thanks, do I need to setup a server for openvpn? Sounds like overkill for me, a struggling home user.

This thread explains p2p well,

Not convinced I need a vpn, chinese welcome to view all the suspicious spiders and free tibet meetings at my house

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, do I need to setup a server for openvpn? Sounds like overkill for me, a struggling hone user.

This thread explains p2p well,

Not convinced I need a vpn, chinese welcome to view all the suspicious spiders and free tibet meetings at my house
Does your router have OpenVPN native to it?

It isn't the video feed they want or care about, it is to hack your system and use YOUR internet for DDoS attacks and sniff for bank passwords...

Stavros99

n3wb
Reaction score
7. Disable P2P, use DMSS, add with IP, figure out how to use OpenVPN
Otherwise sounds like you’re starting to figure it out. They can be quite frustrating at times
Hey Jeep,
wondering why you recommend DMSS over IMOU apps? I had preferred IMOU but may be missing something?

Reaction score
I didn’t really have a good reason other than I assumed it was a cloud based app.

I just downloaded it and could not get further than the screen wanting me to create an account so I won’t be able to make a comparison

NoTea

n3wb
Reaction score
Because P2P can open you up to being hacked.

Most of us don't use the Config tool either.

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1693519003560.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home or for something to get screwed up.
What’s the reason for using IE over edge or chrome? My first time connecting recently I used Firefox with no issues

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What’s the reason for using IE over edge or chrome? My first time connecting recently I used Firefox with no issues
It comes down to IE was the most popular browser when these cameras started to be made, so they centered the firmware around one particular browser and they got lazy and never updated the internals of the program to play nice with other browsers as more became available and IE started to fade.

Back when the firmware was written, it was probably a pain to get it to play nice with every different browser, so they went with the most popular one.

They haven't had a need to address this because their intended market (hint it isn't us) is mainly businesses where they have enough light they can stay in default settings so they don't have a need to login to the camera via browser. It is us homeowners that push these to the limits and actually change settings.

So we either deal with outdated browsers but better cameras or go with crap consumer grade cameras that use fancy apps and modern browsers but horrible images.

A trusted member here wildcat_1, who works closely with Dahua and gets "under the hood" of the firmware, said in this thread:

"Not a case of only using IE for testing, it's more the case that this is the only fully compatible browser (until recent deployments) that truly work with Dahua GUI's. As we've all discussed before, other browsers unfortunately (up to Firefox support most recently) cause anomalies in config, maintenance modes, updates etc. All of this reported back to Dahua to tackle in future but while we all await compatibility with wider browser and platform acceptance OR browser agnostic GUI's, this is unfortunately where we're all at."

So while Dahua claims other browsers are supported, someone that looks at the fine details of the firmware, coupled with many users experience here, that Internet Explorer provides the best opportunity to set up the camera and the setting stick.

Doesn't mean you won't have a problem with another browser, but it is rolling the dice. Especially with the PTZs for some reason.

Simply use Internet Explorer and be done with it.

Or it is a case of you don't know what you are missing by using another browser:

Or this one where someone showed that downloading files from an SD card is 100Mbps with Explorer and 10Mbps with other browsers.