How to setup IVS tripwire in these areas?

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know how to setup a IVS tripwire using the cameras web GUI. My question is how would you draw it in the locations I provided pics of? The areas are small and not certain how I should draw the lines to have the tripwire work as it should. Or is there something else I should utilize? I have the 5442 S3 and the newest NVR from Andy. Thanks!

Attachments

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I wish I had a definitive answer. Some peeps think intrusion zones work better. Some peeps say you have to think of your intrusion zones in 3D meaning look at the lines as tripping at the waist level of a person and not their feet. I typically employ both intrusion zone boxes and trip wires that are zig-zag as much as I can to fill in an area. And, I'll zig-zag both a horizonal direction and another trip wire the vertical direction.

Reaction score
Should it be just one tripwire or multiple? If it’s multiple, I wonder if you would get a ton of alerts/ make it hard to search through video?
I would go with one tripwire rule unless you're trying to cover separate areas and want a notification for each, which doesn't appear that you're trying with the screenshots provided.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would go with one tripwire rule unless you're trying to cover separate areas and want a notification for each, which doesn't appear that you're trying with the screenshots provided.
That is what I was thinking also. Thank you!

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
So you have 3 trip wires on the outer edge and then 2 in the middle?
There are two trip wires and three intrusion zones on that cams IVS setup. One intrusion zone on the outer edge then two more strategically placed to specifically catch vehicle backing out of driveway (you'd think the big intrusion zone would have worked but not always) and a second intrusion zone specifically for people leaving the front door then walking from the walkway onto the driveway. Then there are two trip wires zig-zagged; one horizonal and one vertical (posted the vertical).

You'll have to experiment to figure out what works for you. Seems to be more of a art and not a science therefore no one here can definitively give you the exact answer as your environment is never going to be exactly the same as the next person.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are two trip wires and three intrusion zones on that cams IVS setup.
I have never thought of an intrusion zone until now! After some research sounds like it would be a good idea to setup an intrusion zone in all my areas! Do you run an intrusion zone and tripwire on all your areas?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Every camera is different. Different scene, lighting, purpose but I do have several of them that have both intrusion and tripwire setup. You are using a NVR whereas I'm using BlueIris but I assume your setup will allow for use of both at the same time. For me, I set up the trip wires and intrusion zones directly in the camera's web interface. You might be doing it from the NVR....not sure how that works.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you look at the live view you can see how the camera detects motion and how the motion interacts with your triggers. Start with a single tripwire. You'll see that IVS draws a box around the detected motion. Only when the center of the box crosses your tripwire does the trigger get activated.

This means that if you are trying to trigger for a person walking on a sidewalk, the tripwire needs to extend to where the middle of the person would be. If the tripwire or intrusion box ends at the edge of the sidewalk you will not get any triggers.

Also the tripwire(s) need to cross the direction of motion and not be along the motion. If the tripwire was along the sidewalk for example, then no triggers would occur unless the person was jumping up and down. Most often I will do a first set of tripwires zigzagging across the main expected motion and then a second set along the motion just to catch anything unusual.