How to tweak motion detection sensitivity setting to avoid excessive emails?

sknyc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right now I have the sensitivity set to 100%. I get email almost every 2 minutes for the outdoor - bird shadows, bees, etc. What sensitivity should it be set to only detect motions from only for those we need to be alarmed for?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont use built in motion sensing for alarms outdoors, its only designed to save storage space when the image is static in such a dynamic environment.. using it for alerting or alarming is never going to get rid of false alarms without risking ignoring real alarms.

you need real alarm system that does not ever false to augment a video system.. using a video system in lieu of a real alarm system is really crappy at best.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that answer was correct. although I don´t believe everyone want that one =D ...

Do it the trial and error way, with expert setting if you got and start with oversensitive and work your way backwards to something that you want. I manage to get something like pigeonsize movement detection that I´m happy with, of course it will always trigger for shadows and branches or anything like that and small bugs close to the camera. but hey that is just a bonus =D.

sknyc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
that answer was correct. although I don´t believe everyone want that one =D ...

Do it the trial and error way, with expert setting if you got and start with oversensitive and work your way backwards to something that you want. I manage to get something like pigeonsize movement detection that I´m happy with, of course it will always trigger for shadows and branches or anything like that and small bugs close to the camera. but hey that is just a bonus =D.
You get it down to pigeon size movement but still get alarmed for bugs?

sknyc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
dont use built in motion sensing for alarms outdoors, its only designed to save storage space when the image is static in such a dynamic environment.. using it for alerting or alarming is never going to get rid of false alarms without risking ignoring real alarms.

you need real alarm system that does not ever false to augment a video system.. using a video system in lieu of a real alarm system is really crappy at best.
I have alarm system. The problem with that is, the alarm goes off only AFTER someone broke in the house already. I want to be able to catch it before that happens. I want the cops to catch him in the act.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well if a small bug is on the lens or really close to it. It shows up as a mammoth try to put your face 2cm from your phone and make a picture BIG FACE

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

sknyc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well if a small bug is on the lens or really close to it. It shows up as a mammoth  try to put your face 2cm from your phone and make a picture  BIG FACE

I see, so only when the bug is very close to your camera you get the alert. What % did you set it to?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have alarm system. The problem with that is, the alarm goes off only AFTER someone broke in the house already. I want to be able to catch it before that happens. I want the cops to catch him in the act.
then extend your alarm system to outside with physical sensors that are more reliable than video motion processing, outdoor motion sensors cost more than cameras do.. and for a good reason, they can reliably detect human beings and nothing else.. you also got driveway sensors, pressure sensors, beam/tripwire sensors etc that can alert you to someone's presence.

False Alarms are worse than no alarms, how many times you going to wake up in the middle of the night for a spider before you start sleeping through someone stealing your stuff? Psychology dont work that way, if you want to trust an alarm and respond adequately and quickly then it frankly canot give you false triggers.. I'll take 1 missed event in 12 real events than 1 false event in 12.. its more effective in the long term.

Also your putting too much weight onto your video system, its hardly an active security system.. its pretty passive and only for use after the fact, if you want it to be active your going to pay dearly.. most just hire someone to watch the video, others put up arrays of real security and live displays to augment it... but trying to accomplish it with video processing, hah.. thats amateur stuff.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got one big area so got percentage down to about 5 and sensitivity to around 60. But this is totally individually depending on what size of area you choose to monitor (if I got it right )

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess not everyone lives with fear of being robbed all the time. Or at least like me lives in a more quite area and have this more as a hobby than life and death. But hey I want a perfect security system as well. But maybe one step at the time

sknyc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got one big area so got percentage down to about 5 and sensitivity to around 60. But this is totally individually depending on what size of area you choose to monitor (if I got it right )
Thanks. I will try 60% tonight and see what comes out

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I find that line crossing is working out to be the most accurate to get "true" triggers. but obviously it is not enough. At least not in the cameras I got since I only got the option for one line . But that one triggers perfect for anything that passes the line.