How To: Txt / Email alerts when Blue Iris Web Server is down

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
(Not So) Simple Confusion?

Sorry to hear that eyeball. I was just starting to feel sorry for myself for being too dumb to figure out why it wasn't working for me. . . . .

I do have to say that I've had two or three different occasions where i WISHED that I had put some more effort into figuring this issue out, since I went to go and review some recordings only to find BI was no longer running. This even with BI tools on the lookout. I think I lost power at home and obviously needed to start up the PC again.

Best of luck. Hope you find a solution (and let me know!)
Hey Everlasting G - I took a quick gander at the code - it's written such that it appears that it can be started multiple times. That is, if you happen to click on "Website Monitor", then "Step 1: Initialize" - that actually starts the monitor running. If you subsequently (after clicking on Step 1: Initialize) click on "Step 2: Start website monitor" without an intervening click on "Uninstall", then it appears to start the monitor twice. Since the status 'toggles' are kept in a db, it's stepping on itself causing the down, up, down, up, etc. That's my theory anyway after a 5 minute look.

Try this:

Exit out of the spreadsheet if you have it open.
Get back into the spreadsheet.
Enter in your site address and email (if not already present)
Click "Website Monitor", then click on "Step 1: Initialize"
DO *NOT* CLICK ON "Step 2: Start Website Monitor"

It's a bit confusing as it is worded, but evidently the "Step 2: Start Website Monitor" is there to restart the monitor if you've clicked Uninstall and want to start it back. At least that's the way it seems to be working out at this point.

I did the above and it appears to be behaving better (only run for 30 minutes, but no false alerts yet).

Could be a simple matter of confusing "steps" in the Website Monitor Menu.

Will report back tomorrow.

Also, does anyone know a quick fix for getting the date/time displayed in the spreadsheet for a specific time zone?

Thanks,
eyeball

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, d@mmit.

I took BI down, the spreadsheet alerted, then I brought it back up, it alerted me it was back up, but since then it's down, up, down, up all over again.

It has something to do with recording the status in that db.

I'll look more at it tomorrow. I can't believe anyone gets this to work correctly.

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow, I wonder how someone figured that out lol. I wonder if you could use something like IFTTT to do something similar? Hmmmm.
Oh man, you could make some cool ifft triggers by external pings. Have you came up with any recipe's for this?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a friend set up something on his home server to monitor my public IP, get a buddy and monitor each other lol.