How to use Arduino to trigger camera DI

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've coded an Arduino pro mini 3.3v to look for a broken laser beam. Whenever the beam is broken for more than 5 sec the arduino will set one of it's digital outputs high.
My question is if I can use this digital "high" out to trigger the DI on my camera and if I can just wire it directly?
For testing I've connected an LED which the Arduino has no problem powering. So my concern is if the DI on the camera can handle this "high" signal or if it's made to be looking for something else.

The camera in question is a Vivotek FD836BA-HVF2
I've attached a screenshot from the manual of the camera which doesn't really help me.

Any input from you is appreciated!

Attachments

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've coded an Arduino pro mini 3.3v to look for a broken laser beam. Whenever the beam is broken for more than 5 sec the arduino will set one of it's digital outputs high.
My question is if I can use this digital "high" out to trigger the DI on my camera and if I can just wire it directly?
For testing I've connected an LED which the Arduino has no problem powering. So my concern is if the DI on the camera can handle this "high" signal or if it's made to be looking for something else.

The camera in question is a Vivotek FD836BA-HVF2
I've attached a screenshot from the manual of the camera which doesn't really help me.

Any input from you is appreciated!
I've played with Arduinos quite some time ago, and I'd guess the big question is the output voltage of the Arduino digital out. Depending on your board and which output you select, it might be 3.3v, or it might be 5v. Is it directly compatible with the camera's digital input? Page 128 of the User Manual describes the Digital Input and Digital Output connections. It appears the Digital Input expects some kind of voltage while the Digital Output provides an open or closed contact. I'd wire the Arduino digital output directly to the camera, but only for test purposes. Also, I doubt a single wire will be sufficient to trigger the camera. Be certain the camera and Arduino share a common ground. For more stable and long-term use, you might use a relay to deliver a 5-volt/signal from a separate power supply.

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
The output on the Arduino is 3.3v, I've measured it.
I was thinking about wiring the Arduino GND and say PIN 8 to the camera DI- and DI+. Will this count as common ground? Or should I pull another wire from Arduino GND to the camera and in that case where to? I've attached a screenshot of the camera's terminal layout.

The camera is powered over PoE, so the 12V DC+ and 12V DC- ports are not in use

Attachments

Reaction score
The output on the Arduino is 3.3v, I've measured it.
I was thinking about wiring the Arduino GND and say PIN 8 to the camera DI- and DI+. Will this count as common ground?
If the 3.3v is enough to trigger it, I'd say that should work. At any rate, you don't have to worry about too much voltage or amperage from either device. 3.3v will either do the trick, or not.

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
If the 3.3v is enough to trigger it, I'd say that should work. At any rate, you don't have to worry about too much voltage or amperage from either device. 3.3v will either do the trick, or not.
Awesome. That's great info. Then I will try and wire it and see if it can pull the DI high.

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
Not much yet.
So far I've ordered at set of these photoelectric infrared sensors.
I'm not absolutely sure if their range is good enough nor how to wire them and code the Arduino. I've heard that the Vivotek cameras will trigger their DI if you connect 3.3V to them in reverse polarity. No idea why but waiting for an answer from their support.
The catch with the above set of sensors is that the sender requires power. It would be easier, if I could just wire an IR laser to the Arduino and reflect it off a panel like this one.
I've read that I would need something to modulate the IR laser to 38kHz for an IR receiver to read it. Again I've got no idea how to do this.