How to view camera feeds via BI app when not on my network

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just waiting for a WD Purple HDD to arrive before I can get Blue Iris setup on a Windows 10 PC I'll be using as the server.

What is the best way for me to be able to view my camera feeds (and recordings?) when I'm not on my home network? Is it VPN?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, VPN is the best way. NEVER use port forwarding.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, VPN is the best way. NEVER use port forwarding.

Thanks. I've tried to setup OpenVPN by following their wiki instructions for Windows but I get stuck at the step where you run a command called init-config. It just says its not recognized and I'm surprised at the lack of any info online as to the cause of this. Any ideas?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a guess, but it sounds like either the download or install of OpenVPN didn't actually work properly. The easiest solution is to use a router with a built in VPN server. Both Asus and Netgear offer those along with Ubiquity, I think.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a guess, but it sounds like either the download or install of OpenVPN didn't actually work properly. The easiest solution is to use a router with a built in VPN server. Both Asus and Netgear offer those along with Ubiquity, I think.
OK. I have been considering the Unifi USG as it does provide VPN capability but I thought since I've setup a dedicated always-on machine for my camera management I may as well see if I can utilise that. But to be honest the fact that setting up OpenVPN has become such a pain I'm starting to get put off.

I have tried re-installing OpenVPN a few times but still get stuck at the same point.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe and expert with OpenVPN will chime in, hopefully. I tried it, too, and had problems as well so I ditched the ISP router and put an RT68 I already had back online to get VPN going again.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe and expert with OpenVPN will chime in, hopefully. I tried it, too, and had problems as well so I ditched the ISP router and put an RT68 I already had back online to get VPN going again.
Interesting OK - I'm continuing to Google it and tinker for now so will see where I get to.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am running OpenVPN as provided by my TPLink AC4000 wifi router. I, too, had a lot of frustration with my part as there seems to be a lack of simple instructions out there as to how to set it up.
First: Know that I am not able to provide simple instructions because, to be frank, I am still not certain which of many attempts fixed my issue or how (!) Follow the instructions provided by your router to set up the router's OpenVPN; Create a config file. Copy that config file to the remote machine..... it gets fuzzy after that.
~~~~~ then you will need to install a widget on your remote machine, I used "OpenVPN Connect".
All I know for certain is that once I opened the widget, told it to 'import config file' and then hit Connect.... it has worked flawlessly since, reconnecting pretty much unassisted.
Then, of course, once connected you will need to run Teamviewer (on both machines) to be able to see your cam machine on the remote.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running OpenVPN as provided by my TPLink AC4000 wifi router. I, too, had a lot of frustration with my part as there seems to be a lack of simple instructions out there as to how to set it up.
First: Know that I am not able to provide simple instructions because, to be frank, I am still not certain which of many attempts fixed my issue or how (!) Follow the instructions provided by your router to set up the router's OpenVPN; Create a config file. Copy that config file to the remote machine..... it gets fuzzy after that.
~~~~~ then you will need to install a widget on your remote machine, I used "OpenVPN Connect".
All I know for certain is that once I opened the widget, told it to 'import config file' and then hit Connect.... it has worked flawlessly since, reconnecting pretty much unassisted.
Then, of course, once connected you will need to run Teamviewer (on both machines) to be able to see your cam machine on the remote.
Thanks - at least I'm not the only one.

It's made worse by the fact that this is all so that I can view my camera feeds and footage on my phone when I'm not at home. That's my only requirement. I won't really be needing to view them from another machine.

I've now managed to get further using the previous version of the OpenVPN Windows installer and at the stage where I need to setup a static internet IP to provide for the client configuration files. Initially looked like I'd have to sign up to dyndns and pay another yearly fee but I think I can use noip.com for free and it will do the job. So just have to figure out setting that up.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IPCT has a free ddns service. A number of Router mfgrs also provide a free service, check yours.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've managed to get the server to successfully connect on the PC. I've copied the client configuration files to a directory on the internal storage of my phone. Then installed the OpenVPN app and selected to import the client profile I copied across. However, when I press connect it tries for a while and then times out.

EDIT: It was a port issue. I've now managed to get both the server and client on my phone to connect. However, once connected on my phone, if I type in the local IP of my router to test the VPN connection it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why? Teamviewer is really for those that do not have a VPN connection. If you have a VPN connection, then use the BI app for your phone or UI3 or RDP on your PC.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why? Teamviewer is really for those that do not have a VPN connection. If you have a VPN connection, then use the BI app for your phone or UI3 or RDP on your PC.
Yes exactly - once I'm connected to my vpn I expect to be able to fire up the BI app and it should work. What I won't be able to do is use any other app which connects directly to my cameras because my cameras will not be reachable from the subnet created for my vpn session.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Because "Windows 10 Home Edition does not support RDP.... click here to pay 100 dollars to enjoy this feature".