How to view Dahua and Lorex NVRs from a single app?

mchas

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a bit of a frustrating situation. I have two Lorex NVRs and one Dahua NVR. I can view the Lorex cams through the Lorex Cloud app and the Dahua cams through DMSS. But I really want to be able to view all of them from a single app. I am sure it’s possible since Lorex is just a rebranded Dahua under the covers but I must be doing something wrong.

I have tried adding the Lorex NVR to my DMSS app via P2P but it always just says Failed to Connect.

I have tried adding my Dahua NVR to the Lorex Cloud app but it just tries forever and doesn’t connect.

My questions are:

1) What is the best iOS app for viewing cameras remotely?

2) How can I view my Lorex and Dahua cameras in the same app?

Thanks!

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Each vendor typically uses their own P2P server, so one vendor's app will only connect to its own NVR.
If you want to Liveview and Replay recordings, you will probably need to use one of those vendor apps.
Take your phone to a vendor one NVR location. Use the vendor two app to connect to the NVR using the NVR IP address. If that doesn't work then remote access won't work. If it does work, you could look at using a local VPN at the vendor one NVR location for remote access.
To learn about VPN, start with

mchas

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I was able to connect via the IP address, but I had to do port forwarding to get it to work, which I understand is a bad idea. The only way around that is to use a VPN? Then I would have to connect to VPN every time I want to check my cameras?

Starting to think it might be easier to just replace the other NVRs so they are all the same brand and I can use P2P. Am I crazy for thinking that?

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Changing NVRs to one brand sounds good to me as long as cams on old NVR work on new NVR which they probably will.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I was able to connect via the IP address, but I had to do port forwarding to get it to work, which I understand is a bad idea. The only way around that is to use a VPN? Then I would have to connect to VPN every time I want to check my cameras?

Starting to think it might be easier to just replace the other NVRs so they are all the same brand and I can use P2P. Am I crazy for thinking that?
Takes 5 seconds to connect to a VPN when properly configured.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Changing NVRs to one brand sounds good to me as long as cams on old NVR work on new NVR which they probably will.
If you decide to get a new NVR, I suggest you first test a camera from the old NVR brand on your new NVR brand.

mchas

n3wb
Reaction score
If you decide to get a new NVR, I suggest you first test a camera from the old NVR brand on your new NVR brand.
Yep - already did! Works great. So buying new DVRs is one option but would cost a few hundred dollars each.

mchas

n3wb
Reaction score
Takes 5 seconds to connect to a VPN when properly configured.
Maybe I am overthinking it but I check my cameras many times a day (maybe 5-10 times throughout the day) and those extra 5 seconds every time just sounds like it would get annoying. But maybe I would get used to it quickly…