How to view one ip camera from network

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 8 ch dahua NVR and seperate poe switch. In addition to being able to view the feeds on my monitor connected to the NVR I was trying to work out if I could add a dahua 7” poe screen from their doorbell kit and share the feed from a mini dome that will be fitted at my front door and just view that feed in the kitchen. I was looking at a dahua pft1300 as a possibility to use. Any ideas how I could do this to utilise the 7” poe screen?

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
maybe post specs on the 7" poe screen eg model number etc.. so ppl can help.

otherwise it can be easily done with raspberrypi and any hdmi screen + ui3 vlc or if you prefer a more compact/neat look with the Pi Foundation PiTFT screen.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know how you would do it with just the screen. You need to connect a computer (or RPi like @holiday) suggests and then use VLC or omxplayer to pull the stream directly from the camera.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @biggen. I may have to abandon the poe screen idea. Ive never had anything to do with raspberry Pi so am out of my depth there. @holiday indicates it’s easy so guess I’ve got more to look at. What are the basics for wiring and connection?

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
otherwise it can be easily done with raspberrypi and any hdmi screen + ui3 vlc
Ok. Which Pi would you recommend for my consumption if I went that way. I’d heard the name but had no idea.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
actually any pi will do, get the one with rj45 and usb ports,

if u manage to get working second hand discontinued version 1 model B+ that will work as well.
else get pi2 (maybe discontinued), pi3 or pi4 which might be a bit over kill for your needs.

The parts you may need are below and you may need to do some basic scripting which can be easily googled eg: vlc automatic start at boot up - Raspberry Pi Forums

A raspberry pi.
1621948987532.png

A hdmi monitor / screen (requires own power supply) or the rPi Foundation PiTFT screen for the neater look (the pi powers it)
1621949109238.png

A POE splitter with the usb connector that suits your raspberry pi.
1621949192345.png

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i would also like to add that the rpi solution may require some technical skills eg linux computing and scripting skills so for the non technical minded, sticking to the tablet solution as suggested above may be better.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A tablet with VLC should also work. That's a pretty good idea actually. Could even do an iPad.
Between my 3 adult daughters I’m sure I’ll be able to come up an old iPad or iPad mini else head to Amazon etc. So how would streaming to that device work ie the physical set up that’d share the mini dome feed. I don’t want to disrupt the 24/7 recording of that cam to the nvr.

Trying to think this one through logically, so iPads have one port. I’ll need to be able to supply both power and video so that means a connector for both power plus the rj45 from the cam. Will poe work here to power the iPad or will it blow it up? Not knowing the full tech of poe I assume it does not feed power back from a ipcam.

The video feed: rj45 from poe switch to a standard 2:1 splitter. Rj45 from kitchen to the other half of 2:1. Then feed both to the mini dome.

Am I on the right track here? Thanks also @TonyR on this one. Maybe an old dog can be taught new tricks.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Video feed is wireless if using a tablet. Using IP cam viewer or another similar app that can connect directly to the camera you want via the RTSP stream.

This assumes you have wireless in the house of course.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. Little confused now. So I need vlc for iOS and an app to view wirelessly. I was starting to think I could attach iPad to cam feed with something like this item here. It charges too. Watch via vlc player. I must be on another page. ‍♂A0760BE1-6E20-443F-A903-D1D34EBC02D1.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems like kind of over-complicating things. Why the need to hard-wire?

Easier:
  • Find a spot in the kitchen for the tablet.
  • Plug it in.
  • Connect to WiFi.
Done.

At least as far as the network. There are some other things that you may need to do, e.g., change settings to keep the screen alive, etc.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep. So still being new at this. I put an app on the iPad and connect wirelessly. The dahua mini dome I’m intending to use isn’t wireless, so what signal am I connecting to? Can my router broadcast these cam feeds wirelessly. I apologise as I should have maybe specified in the original post the model E3241 which is hard wired only (no wifi)

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
If all your cameras are connected to your home LAN and your home LAN has a wifi access point (wireless router) than you can access any camera on your LAN via wired or wireless. It's all one big network.

Last edited:

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So on the iPad basically open Safari and enter the cameras ip address. Leave that open and displaying the live view. Much like logging in remotely via VPN.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
No. You have to use a program like VLC or IP cam viewer to connect to the RTSP stream. Most of the Dahua cams can’t work with tablets as far as their live stream preview goes in their GUI so you connect to their RTSP stream instead.