How well does Nvidia handle the hardware decode vs Intel?

Neil Sidhu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am thinking to replace my CPU from an i series to a Xeon series that does not have an integrated GPU and was wondering how well Nvidia GPU's work (an less cost model)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quick Sync (Intel GPU) isn't needed anymore. That was only needed back before substreams were introduced. The substreams allowed other CPUs without QuickSync to be used. For kicks I disabled it and deleted the driver and my system ran fine LOL.

A GPU is only needed if you plan to go heavy on CodeProject instead of using the built-in AI of the cameras. But many are showing the CPU version of CodeProject is more stable than the GPU version, so you should be fine with a 10th gen processor.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

Hardware Acceleration is when you offload the video to the internal GPU/Quick Sync.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

Here is a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration based on my post and their CPU dropped 10-15% and BI became stable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with others here. At its best, hardware acceleration was good for about a 50% reduction in CPU usage. Sub streams however (when properly configured) reduce the load by closer to 84-96%, and do so without the issues that have plagued Intel hardware acceleration on some systems (memory leaks, rising CPU usage, video corruption, hardware acceleration getting randomly turned off for individual cameras, etc). Hardware acceleration and sub streams CAN be used together, but as others have noted, it is no longer a clear win even in the best of cases, and may actually be detrimental to your system's performance even if you don't experience any of the traditional bugs associated with Intel hardware acceleration in Blue Iris.

I don't use hardware acceleration on any of my biggest Blue Iris systems anymore and I do not miss it.

Nvidia hardware acceleration still works, but it is less energy-efficient than software decoding in Blue Iris so it is generally not a great idea to use it.

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is hardware acceleration and Hardware Decode one in the same?