How well does on camera (SD card) storage work?

bigjoe99

n3wb
Reaction score
A local non profit has asked me to help with one or two IP cam installs, and given the president is a bit impulsive bought a couple 3mp hikvisions before even asking about how they were being installed.
So, I'm a nice guy and offered to help out.
Problem is they really have no PC on site to host a NVR, and I'm not sure if there is a need. As somebody who's used to flexibility of blue iris I'd like some opinions on how viable is the on camera features recording to SD card. All they need is to record on detect.....no need for notifications or anything else.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They should be fine so long as you use good quality cards and don't exceed the 128GB limit. Bear in mind that the cards will have a finite lifespan.

teddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
My 4 Hikvision cameras been up for almost 4 years without any problems on their SD cards. I'm using Sandisk and Samsung cards. I don't have NVR. Maybe once a month, I check my suspicious footage on my computer only because the screen is bigger but I usually use the mobile app (Hik-Connect) which sends you alert and you can also watch live video feed as well as recorded footages.