How would I setup VPN if main router doesn't support it ?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I have gigabit fiber and mesh wifi. The ISP provided router doesn't have VPN options.

I have an old ASUS router that I flashed with latest DD-WRT

It has OpenVPN settings but I have never set this before.

How can I configure this so:

Milestone Box -> ASUS Router running OpenVPN -> Main gigabit fiber router -> Internet

Actually can I configure VPN server on the box itself and avoid 2nd router ?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I have OpenVpn on my Blue Iris pc. It wasn't the easiest thing I've done but you would probably have an easier time with it than I did.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You should be able set the ISP's "modem" into bridge mode and then handle all the routing yourself from you own router.

Internet -> WAN in on Modem -> LAN out on Modem > WAN in on Asus router.

Yes, you could setup OpenVPN on the Windows BI box itself though I've never done it. Ideally you would use a Linux box/VM/Raspberry Pi and run Wireguard/OpenVPN on that.

Last edited:

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You should be able set the ISP's "modem" into bridge mode and then handle all the routing yourself from you own router.

Yes, you could setup OpenVPN on the Windows BI box itself though I've never done it. Ideally you would use a Linux box/VM/Raspberry Pi and run Wireguard/OpenVPN on that.
I can't do that. The Asus is ancient. It cannot handle my gigabit fiber nor does it support mesh wifi which my ISP provides me.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't do that. The Asus is ancient. It cannot handle my gigabit fiber nor does it support mesh wifi which my ISP provides me.
Then buy a new router and setup your own mesh (dedicated APs are better) or or setup a Linux box/Raspberry Pi and run a VPN from there.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I started to type exactly this and then saw this response. So in short I'd just say "ditto".

If it were me, I'd invest a little money in a more current Asus router w/ the ability. To me, the time saved would justify the time. (but that's just my opinion for my own situation. It can & should vary from person to person. )

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Then buy a new router and setup your own mesh (dedicated APs are better) or or setup a Linux box/Raspberry Pi and run a VPN from there.
btw I'll add that I tried Asus mesh last year and had horrible results. If you want to see the latest state of it, go to snbforums.com. Look in the Wireless Networking>Asus Wireless subforum.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I started to type exactly this and then saw this response. So in short I'd just say "ditto".

If it were me, I'd invest a little money in a more current Asus router w/ the ability. To me, the time saved would justify the time. (but that's just my opinion for my own situation. It can & should vary from person to person. )
I don't want to buy more equipment though. I'm happy with Mesh wifi my ISP gives me for 5 CAD a month.

Gonna try to run openvpn on this router or maybe something on the box itself.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The Netgear R7000 is well regarded and supports DD-WRT