How's This for my First IP Setup for House?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been reading through the wealth of information on these forums for a while now, and after talking with Andy, settled on the following for my IP Cam package:

What do you think? Since this is my first setup, I'm trying to keep things simple and robust, which is why I opted for the NVR instead of Blue Iris or something more advanced. I plan on hooking up the 3 cameras and Intercom all into the NVR. Probably will use Cat6A for the intercom since it will sit at my front gate, which is quite a ways from the house, but not sure if that really matters.

I had a couple of questions and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on the implementation. The Intercom came with a tablet that can be hooked up via Ethernet, but I think I'd ultimately prefer using an iPad instead. How would you recommend I set this up in the house so I can field "doorbell rings" at the gate from it and also flip over to feeds from one of the 3 cameras seamlessly?

Or do most people tend to monitor their intercom and cameras through the phone app?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Get the 16 port version, it's only about 20 bucks more.
You can view the reg cams on the "tablet" as well.
No need for cat6a.
How far to the gate?
Cat6 awg23 solid copper cable is good for 330ft.
Use shielded cable.
You may want to consider running power to the gate and use this as a link to the gate instead of cable for surge mitigation.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks, pulled the trigger on the order, unfortunately, and didn't realize it was just $20 more. I don't ever anticipate running more than 8 cameras/devices, though.

Gate is right at the 300ft mark, so will go with normal Cat6 like you said.

How easy is it to ditch the included Intercom tablet and run everything through the NVR -> iPad? Assuming I'll just have to go with the Dahua app on there and it will ring the iPad when someone hits the Intercom button?

Is there another method of inline surge mitigation off the POE? I have to run another length of POE around that area anyway for a Starlink dish, so it'll be easy for me to just run this second Cat6 length to the intercom versus going with that Ubiquiti setup. Should I just use the included POE Switch? Intercom -> POE Switch -> NVR?

Lastly, is it pretty straightforward to integrate the VTO2202F-P Intercom to also be able to open my automated gate (Liftmaster)?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I inherited a Condo surveillance system, with a 16 ch DVR, running an Eyemax software thru a PC. 10 channels in use.
Upgraded to a Nightowl HD Dvr,
then stopped by these lunatics, and asked for directions.
Up to 3 recorders, and 27 Camera's now. Plans for #28 and 29.

Cam8.20210920_203736_338204744.jpg

Reaction score
Looks like there's no real way to interlink the VTO2202F-P Intercom with an automated gate opener, so scratch that.

For its POE connection, can I just run an inline POE Surge Protector for surge mitigation?

Those of you who are running 8-14+ cameras... are you doing so in a single family residence? Wouldn't there just be cameras... seen everywhere on the house?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, most of us here are single family residence with more than 8 cameras!

People are oblivious and do not even see them. Plus you can paint them to match your house and they blend in.

Most of us here started with the crap all-in-one box kit. I started with 4 and was like "I can place one on each corner of the house and see my whole property and the whole neighborhood."

Then an event happens and you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 2.8mm wide angle cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera. At 40 feet out you need a different camera.

So then we start adding more cameras and varifocal cameras so that we can optically zoom in to pinch points and other areas of interest to get the clean IDENTIFY captures of someone. While the varifocals are great at helping to identify at a distance, they come at a cost of a reduced field of view.

Unless you only have 3 entry points into your home, you will find that 3 cameras are not going to provide enough coverage.

Many here have 3 cameras just covering the front door.

We had an event happen this past week. None of my neighbors cameras caught anything or at best could tell the officer what time the perp checked their car door. Meanwhile the perps didn't come on my property, yet I was the only one to get a clean picture of them because I had varifocal cameras optically zoomed out to the sidewalk and the street and got them as they walked past.