HP EliteDesk 800 G4 W10P-64 i7 8700 3.2GHz 512GB SSD 16GB DDR4 DVDRW 3xDP SFF

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well finally took the plunge and bought a computer for my security camera project. I am sure I will have a learning curve as I previously had a Dahua NVR and now with the new house and cameras going to switch over to Blue Iris.. I should receive this new computer in the next week or so ( HP EliteDesk 800 G4 W10P-64 i7 8700 3.2GHz 512GB SSD 16GB DDR4 DVDRW 3xDP SFF | eBay)
New customized
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 W10P-64 i7 8700 3.2GHz 512GB SSD 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4 2666 DVDRW 3x DISPLAY PORT SFF PC
Windows 10 Pro 64 - HP recommends Windows 10 Pro
Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor (3.2 GHz, up to 4.6 GHz w/Turbo, 12MB Cache, 2666 MHz, 6 core, 65W) + Intel® UHD Graphics 630
16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 DIMM Memory
512 GB SSD
Ultraslim DVD-Writer
3x Display Ports (3xDP )
HP SFF Chassis Tower Stand

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice machine.

I'm curious if there is a significant performance increase between the i5 8500 and the i7 8700. Is it worth the extra few hundred $?

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only one way to find out.... I plan to put this in our computer room and if my wife wants to she can use it or her laptop. I know it is overkill but figured I have room to grow and can use it for our home computer as well.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You want to dedicate a computer to only Blue Iris, don't use it for other things....if you care about reliability.

Why is that? Not that the computer would get used much for anything else but might every once in a while.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
NVR service is a real time application. The recording PC must have adequate CPU, drive, and network capacity headroom continuously. Add another use and you risk momentary, unpredictable spikes that could knock our recording for just the wrong moment. This is especially risky with slower machines and fewer CPU cores. If your machine has a lot of extra capacity, you can get away with it. Get BI running and check CPU usage. If you are under 50% you can probably get away with some occasional other lite CPU usage.

I use a 12 core machine to web surf while it runs SecuritySpy. The NVR app uses 18% of CPU handling 16 cameras with motion detect, continuous recording plus motion triggered recordings of all cameras. BlueIris is probably similar in utilization. My CPU usage goes up to 40% max. So, we have a bit more headroom on the machine than most. On a smaller number of cores, it may get dicey. At six cores, you can probably get away with browser usage.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
"Get BI running and check CPU usage. If you are under 50% you can probably get away with some occasional other lite CPU usage. " to that line I'd add "when there is a lot of activity being detected". Heck, at night with no wind, or on a dreary day with no wind, and minor activity going on, my computer can run around 35% cpu. Give me a sunny windy day with other stuff going on as well, and it can easily be running at 85%...

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, good point about there being a lot of motion happening. I have spikes for rain and fog. Here is a CPU graph that shows what happens with fog creating lots of motion. The CPU spikes are fog in the night. As daylight comes, you see CPU usage drop down with fog dissipation.

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.16.49 PM.jpg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The BI PC is a security appliance. That is why it is recommend to turn off windows updates. The BI auto update is also turned off. All hardware is on UPSs. The more crap you load on the PC the more unreliable it becomes. That is why you do a clean windows 10 install and then install BI. It is 100% about reliability, not about CPU utilization.

My PI PC is headless and sits in a closet and runs 13 cameras at under 20%. It has no additional software load.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, for someone with say 8 4mp cams would there be any benefit to going with an i7 8700 over an i5 8500? Assuming the cams would be monitored during the day with 24/7 recording.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The I7-8700 has about 20% more processing power then the i5-8500. The passmark rating for the i7 is 15136 and the i5 is 11822. If the frame rate is under 15 fps per camera I see no major reason to use the I7. The main factor in system design is MP/SEC, not the number of cameras.

look at the CPU system comparisons running BI

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.

Not sure how to interpret some of the Update Helper data. How is the MP/s determined and what is console? Is Age how long ago the data was received?

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone, I look forward to working with BI and not the Dahua NVR that I had on my previous install. I wouldn't think I would use this computer but maybe 3-4 times a year to browse the internet.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry JetG, I guess I kinda hijacked your thread!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry JetG, I guess I kinda hijacked your thread!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

LOL we are all here to learn so keep on asking question no big deal to me and hijack away.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Age is the age of the data that is being displayed, when the helper collected the data. Console is if the bi display was open when the data was collected.
MP is determined by the resolution and frames per second. Motion,quality, bvr/cvr.